All texts did not transfer to new iPhone, but are still on iPad/Mac?

I received my new 15 Pro Max yesterday and migrated everything via iCloud from my 12 Pro Max. A lot of my messages did not transfer from my old device. Anything after Feb of this year is missing. When checking my iPad and Macbook, the messages are still there, so they're definitely in the cloud. I have iMessage turned on in iCloud and all that as well. Will I need to restore from backup (from my old phone) again and hope they'll repopulate? Or is there an easier workaround to getting back these messages on my phone?

I know it seems silly to want messages from years ago, but some are from people who are no longer here, so it's hard to let them go.

TIA!

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2024 2:34 PM

Hi experienced the same problem and luckily figured it out for myself. I tapped Settings>"My Name">iCloud>Messages>Toggled off and back on....... I repeated these steps twice and in the bottom of the phone should say "syncing messages" took about 10 mins and messages reappeared from my last backup.

You can also click iCloud+ > Messages> toggle on and off.

Hope that helps someone or maybe dumb luck on my end!

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2024 2:34 PM in response to Joshbowes

Hi experienced the same problem and luckily figured it out for myself. I tapped Settings>"My Name">iCloud>Messages>Toggled off and back on....... I repeated these steps twice and in the bottom of the phone should say "syncing messages" took about 10 mins and messages reappeared from my last backup.

You can also click iCloud+ > Messages> toggle on and off.

Hope that helps someone or maybe dumb luck on my end!

Jan 26, 2024 9:21 AM in response to Joshbowes

I am having the same issue too.. just got my iPhone 15 the other day and I made sure to back up my old phone which I did and it had the current date for being backed up. I so went on to set up my new phone and I didn’t get all my text messages.. my messages stops at September 15, 2023 and nothing after that at all😩😩.Apple what is the problem

Sep 30, 2023 9:38 PM in response to Lissy_12

Hello! I am facing the same issue. I used my iCloud backup (from iPhone 12pro) to setup my new iPhone 15 pro. A lot of my messages did not sync to my new phone. They are all visible on my iPad and iPhone 12 Pro. I reset my phone numerous times but the same sync error still persists, even if I use a newer backup. Also, previously deleted messages (prior to the backup) are also populating on the new setup for the new phone. I tried to setup another phone to make sure that it’s not the new phone. As expected, the other phone had the same missing messages too. Then I wanted to confirm if it was a currupt backup, so I decided to turn on iMessage with my Apple ID on another phone. The same messages were missing again. So it doesn’t seem to be a backup either. Please advise on how to fix this sub issue. Thank you!!!

Jan 8, 2024 9:55 PM in response to Joshbowes

I had the same problem with my iPhone 15 Pro not displaying my entire backed up text history. Here's how I solved it:

1. Sign out of Apple ID on the new phone
  2. Log back in with your Apple ID
  3. Turn on Messages in iCloud (Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Messages in iCloud)
  4. That started a sync process in Messages. This time, you could see a sync progress bar in Messages, which took about 5 minutes, and when finished, my entire text history was there.

Hope this helps!

Jan 6, 2024 7:33 PM in response to missakay33

I've had the same issue and I've had my 15 pro for over two weeks

I have all of my messages for most contacts but for one in particular they only go back a year. But my settings say to keep my messages forever. This is very distressing as I know I didn't delete the messages b/c I can still see them on my iPhone 12 and the GB for messages on both Iphones are the same so they must be in the cloud.

Please help.

Jan 27, 2024 9:23 AM in response to missakay33

Just found a solution that worked for me. My software wasn’t updated so I updated (to 17.3) and then went to my name> iCloud > iMessages>sync now. Before the update this wasn’t even an option in this screen. After the update, it said “syncing paused” and had the sync now option. Took about 10 minutes but all my messages were restored as well as the messages sent and received on my new phone. Hope this helps!

Feb 26, 2024 3:49 AM in response to missakay33

Purchased new iPhone 15 on 12/29/23. All of my texts during the month of December are not there. I’ve done everything listed above except going to the apple store. This is beyond frustrating as the texts with photos from the holidays are missing and other important information. I pay all this extra money to have extra storage (largest I cloud subscription and iPhone with the largest storage offered to not have access to information when I need it. I’m so frustrated. The folks at verizon know nothing, they have wasted over two hours of my life that I’ll never get back to scratch their heads and say they recommend I contact apple. When I told them I had already done that and followed their instructions without resolve. 😡

Sep 30, 2023 1:02 PM in response to missakay33

Hi missakay33,

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities! As noted in the article below:

About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup

Sometimes the restore process may look complete, but your device is still downloading information in the background. To check this, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. If your device is still being restored, you see “This [device] is currently being restored and will automatically back up when it is done.”

Stay connected to Wi-Fi until the process finishes. The time it takes to restore depends on the size of your backup and the speed of your Wi-Fi.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Mar 25, 2024 2:26 PM in response to missakay33

Still facing the same issue from setting new iPhone 15 pro in 4th January. I can search for all messages with "search" function, but when I open specific conversation, I can see history only from November 2023 (but our messages started June 2023). With search function I can find all including from June 2023, but conversation view ends with November 2023 and cannot scroll more to history before November 2023. Still big issue of Apple iOS

All texts did not transfer to new iPhone, but are still on iPad/Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.