Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 15 - Freezing and Glitching Issue

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

i just got my IPhone 15 Pro Max and for whatever reason while i’m using my apps my screen would sometimes freeze momentarily or freeze indefinitely. I also have trouble pressing options/buttons located in the corner of the screen in some apps. For example, when watching a video in full screen i would have to press the “back” “skip” or the “<“ options more than 3-4 times for it to register my touch. Another example would be when browsing through shopping apps i would have to keep pressing the “back” or “<“ option/button, usually located in the corner of the screen multiple times or even have to end/close the applications altogether. Not sure if this is an issue with the actual iPhone screen not registering the touch or an IOS 17 issue.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 10:44 AM

Reviving this discussion as I'm experiencing identical problems on the same phone model. In addition, my apps are routinely crashing. I recently transitioned from Android to iPhone and, so far, I'm not particularly impressed. I'm optimistic that this is merely an iOS 17 issue and can be resolved, especially considering the substantial cost of this device. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many support articles addressing this matter, hence my contribution to this thread. I suspect others are encountering this issue but may be tolerating it simply because it's an Apple product.

198 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 10:44 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Reviving this discussion as I'm experiencing identical problems on the same phone model. In addition, my apps are routinely crashing. I recently transitioned from Android to iPhone and, so far, I'm not particularly impressed. I'm optimistic that this is merely an iOS 17 issue and can be resolved, especially considering the substantial cost of this device. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many support articles addressing this matter, hence my contribution to this thread. I suspect others are encountering this issue but may be tolerating it simply because it's an Apple product.

Oct 9, 2023 6:13 PM in response to shanthiii

Upgraded from a 12 Pro Max to a 15 Pro Max and phone has been mostly fine since release day but has also mostly been on wifi. Currently on vacation and off wifi and the phone has started to get very warm, possibly over heating. Also, started dealing with everything from the original post plus the phone now occasionally freezes, and the volume and power button does not allow shutdown when this happens. Only option to resolve is the phone recognizes something has gone critically wrong and restarts itself or wait till the phone dies. Hopefully Apple extends their return policy or offers a free upgrade next year because this not acceptable performance given the price point of the device.

Oct 13, 2023 11:50 AM in response to Mo_Magic

This is actually dumb. I've had the same iPhone for a couple of years, and my dad decided to get us a new phone. This phone has been LEGIT TRASH since I've got it. Service barely exists where I normally would have no trouble, the glitch lasts for about 30 minutes (despite the forced reset I attempt to do), randomly hanging up on people, overheating the moment I plug it in etc.

This forced reset does NOT work for this glitch. The glitch legit needs to finish first, then I can reset my phone.

I hate this....

Oct 10, 2023 9:53 AM in response to Timmyb824

Update: I've discovered a potential solution that appears to alleviate the app crashes: resetting my network settings. It's puzzling why this would be necessary on a brand new phone. However, I suspect the app crashes might have been due to network timeouts and connection failures. Judging by some of the other comments I’m not sure this will work for everyone but wanted to mention it.

Oct 13, 2023 5:17 AM in response to Roboe1

Bought iPhone 15 pro around 1 week back started using yesterday. The phone auto upgraded to iOS 17.0.3. Now continuously restarting randomly. Sometimes very difficult to use simple apps like WhatsApp, chrome. I’m regretting now upgrading to latest iPhone. Apple quality really going down the drain recently. Didn’t expect this from iPhone

Jan 2, 2024 6:28 PM in response to Mo_Magic

Me too. New one week old iPhone 15 Pro Max (17.2.1)(512gb) with glitching, freezing, and touch screen problems. Instagram latest version freezing in many areas such as reels, uploading images, sharing, etc. Many apps, texts, reels and videos, etc glitching. Touch screen doesn't work in corners and on sides of phone. Often have to hit finger on screen numerous times for unit to function. Although I did need to upgrad from iPhone 7, I paid way too much for this fake altar of Apple technology. Such a bait/switch.

Sep 30, 2023 5:02 PM in response to Mo_Magic

Hi Mo_Magic,

Since your iPhone is glitching and freezing, we recommend that you try the steps here: If your iPhone won't turn on or is frozen - Apple Support

To perform the recommended troubleshooting steps via the link above, complete the steps in the section below.

On your iPhone 8 or later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation)
1. Press and quickly release the volume up button.
2. Press and quickly release the volume down button.
3. Press and hold the side button until you see the Apple logo.
An animation of an iPhone with arrows pointing to the volume up button, then to the volume down button, and then to the side button.

4. If your phone doesn't turn on, follow these steps to check your hardware and charge your phone. You might need to charge for up to an hour.

If your iPhone turns on but gets stuck during start up
If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:
1. Connect your iPhone to a computer. On a Mac with macOS Catalina, open the Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes. Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
2. Select your iPhone on your computer.
3. While your iPhone is connected, follow these steps:
* On your iPhone 8 or later, including iPhone SE (2nd and 3rd generation): Press and quickly release the volume up button. Press and quickly release the volume down button. Then press and hold the side button.

We recommend the steps above because they will show you what to do if your iPhone is freezing.

If you’re still experiencing the same issue, then we recommend that you contact Apple Support directly so that they can work with you to find a solution. You can reach them by clicking here: Apple Support or calling the most local number in your region: Contact Apple for support and service. Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Oct 17, 2023 6:53 PM in response to Mo_Magic

I pre ordered the iPhone 15 pro max & traded in my 12 pro max for this (that phone was in perfect condition and paid off)

list of problems I’ve had so far:

1. Overheating, as soon as I received my new phone and made a phone call it got uncomfortably hot. I’ve never owned a phone that reached those temperatures with a simple 5 minute phone call. I was told it might be because the apps were still downloading well it did it a whole week later still.

I ended up getting a second iPhone 15 pro max through Verizon with their 30 day return/exchange policy. According to my sales associate it was not a refurbished phone that I was receiving. & following are the problems I’ve encountered with the new (not refurbished) iPhone 15 pro max:

1. Glitching, even as I am typing this the keyboard feels like a first generation vtech touch screen computer. Almost like a toy, is this a joke? Because Apple will learn the hard way how funny it is to loose clients as they seem to not care about the Apple experience anymore.
  2. Freezing, This phone has froze on me on numerous occasions including while at Disneyland (which is all online now). On runs, having a reliable phone is not a luxury, it is a necessity. As others have mentioned the side buttons won’t work. At work, I am a respiratory therapist & it is very important that my coworkers can reach me at all times. If there is a disaster we are still to report to work as “essential employees” if all essential employees happen to have this phone, our patients would be screwed.

In summary it is the worst phone I have owned & I wish I kept my I phone 12. But I trusted Apple with my money and pre-ordered 3 new iPhone 15 pro max phones… one for my husband, my mom and myself. I paid over 300$ in taxes per phone that I will loose on.

It took Verizon 2 weeks to get me the replacement and I am writing this one week after having the new replacement phone. I am now over my 30 day Verizon warranty. HOWEVER THIS IS NOT A VERIZON PROBLEM.

This phone is hands down the worst experience I’ve had with Apple. I am clearly not a happy customer as I feel very frustrated especially when it freezes at the most inconvenient times. SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE.

Nov 27, 2023 6:41 PM in response to s_j_4_0_3

iPhone, 15 ProMax

IOS: 17.1.1

All apps are updated as well

Screen, video of webpage, distortion or pixelization issues

I’ve had my iPhone 15 promax since November 6, my previous issues that I have put on this thread are still happening. I’m going to upload a video that you can watch it shows screen distortion or screen pixelization I’m having that issue as well as game apps freezing my Gmail app froze, have issues with my keyboard, basically everything that everyone is experiencing I am experiencing as well just thought I’d update.

iPhone 15 - Freezing and Glitching Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.