Unable to grant permission to Quicktime. No lock icon. No Quicktime listed as option.

I want to record videos on screen. Quicktime works but there is no audio. I am unable to give permission for Quicktime to use the microphone because there is no lock and Quicktime isn't listed as an option. I have Macbook Pro 16" 2019.

I'm using Sonoma 14.0 software, but it didn't work on the previous software either. I understand that I have a quicktime PLAYER. But I can't find a Quicktime APP in the the apple store.

I just want to play and record an instructional video on my screen with sound. I'm NOT making a video. I'm just trying to capture a video. I know it's possible because my friends have recorded the exact same video. Thanks!

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 4:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:51 PM

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 5:51 PM in response to SprySparrow

to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Unable to grant permission to Quicktime. No lock icon. No Quicktime listed as option.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.