You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPod Mismatch with Replacement Bud

I destroyed one AirPod so I recently ordered a replacement directly from the Apple website. I have been going through the directions to pair this bud, however, it keeps saying that the AirPods are mismatched. I went to the Genius Bar and they found that the firmwares were mismatched, so they recommended I update my old case/pod. Now I have since updated them (to 6A301), but I am continuing to have the same issue! My phone is also updated to the most recent software and before every test, I charge my AirPods for an hour. The issue presents itself as the case flashing amber but when I try to hold the button on the back, it only flashes white once, beeps three times, then gives me the mismatch message. Any advice?

AirPods Pro (2nd generation)

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 5:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 6:36 PM

Swzti Said:

"AirPod Mismatch with Replacement Bud: I destroyed one AirPod so I recently ordered a replacement directly from the Apple website. I have been going through the directions to pair this bud, however, it keeps saying that the AirPods are mismatched. I went to the Genius Bar and they found that the firmwares were mismatched[...]"

-------

Troubelshooting AirPods MisMatch:

A. Start here: If you see an alert that says "AirPods Mismatch" - Apple Support

B. Verifying Genuine AirPods:

1. Get the Serial Number: Find the Serial Number of your AirPods - Apple Support
  2. Enter the Serial Number here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/.
  3. View the Results: If all shows up as an AirPod, then you are fine. If not, then these are fake, and that is likely why you are getting the issue of connectivity.

C. A Glitch in Apple's Device Database?

I would contact Apple Support, asking them if there is a glitch in their user database. You should not be getting this message, if they have already been repaired. If these are used, then that may be why this is occurring.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 27, 2023 6:36 PM in response to Swzti

Swzti Said:

"AirPod Mismatch with Replacement Bud: I destroyed one AirPod so I recently ordered a replacement directly from the Apple website. I have been going through the directions to pair this bud, however, it keeps saying that the AirPods are mismatched. I went to the Genius Bar and they found that the firmwares were mismatched[...]"

-------

Troubelshooting AirPods MisMatch:

A. Start here: If you see an alert that says "AirPods Mismatch" - Apple Support

B. Verifying Genuine AirPods:

1. Get the Serial Number: Find the Serial Number of your AirPods - Apple Support
  2. Enter the Serial Number here: https://checkcoverage.apple.com/.
  3. View the Results: If all shows up as an AirPod, then you are fine. If not, then these are fake, and that is likely why you are getting the issue of connectivity.

C. A Glitch in Apple's Device Database?

I would contact Apple Support, asking them if there is a glitch in their user database. You should not be getting this message, if they have already been repaired. If these are used, then that may be why this is occurring.

Apple Contact Info:

• Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Sep 27, 2023 6:38 PM in response to Swzti

Swzti Said:

"AirPod Mismatch with Replacement Bud: I went to the Genius Bar and they found that the firmwares were mismatched, so they recommended I update my old case/pod. Now I have since updated them (to 6A301), but I am continuing to have the same issue!"

-------

Troubleshooting AirPod Updates:

What is the model of your AirPods? Go here, and see if you have the latest: About Firmware Updates for AirPods - Apple Support. Unfortunately, you cannot push AirPod updates. So, pair these to a device that is already connected to the Internet, and they will be updated automatically, sure enough.

Sep 27, 2023 7:26 PM in response to Swzti

Swzti Said:

"AirPod Mismatch with Replacement Bud: I bought the replacement pod directly from the Apple repair website, so it should be brand new. When I am charging to encourage the update, my phone (which is connected) is nearby. & I plugged it directly into my iPad to try to catalyze an update too. It now says it’s up to date — with the 6A301 description, but the issue has not been resolved. Should I assume this is a mistake on Apple’s part like a glitch?"

-------

Get the Serial Number Confirmed:

Seems Like a Glitch. So, contact Apple Support, asking for assistance with finding the serial number for each AirPod.

Apple Contact Info:

Sep 27, 2023 7:18 PM in response to TheLittles

I bought the replacement pod directly from the Apple repair website, so it should be brand new. When I am charging to encourage the update, my phone (which is connected) is nearby. & I plugged it directly into my iPad to try to catalyze an update too. It now says it’s up to date — with the 6A301 description, but the issue has not been resolved. Should I assume this is a mistake on Apple’s part like a glitch?

Dec 31, 2023 11:07 AM in response to Swzti

I just got off the phone with a Senior Apple Support Rep. After different troubleshooting steps and verifying firmware/iOS version, etc.... we discovered there is a glitch in the airpod pro 6B34 firmware update that was last released. It is affecting the FindMy app only. If you go into icloud.com and view your devices, there are no error messages. We troubleshooted my iPad Pro and 14 Plus. Isolated the issue to the phone when we turned off the FindMy on the phone and then looked at the iPad Pro, only to discover that the error disappeared. When we turned FindMy back on the phone, the error showed up on both devices.

Hope this helps anyone that is having this issue. It's not a hardware issue, it IS a software/firmware compatibility issue with the 6B34 firmware release.

AirPod Mismatch with Replacement Bud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.