All 4 of my AirTags stopped working at the same time and now 1 has triggered a tracking alert on myself.

I have 4 separate AirTags that all suddenly stopped working at the exact same time back on Sept 2, as follows

1. Backpack (last shown at home)
  2. CPAP carry case (last shown at home)
  3. Suitcase (last shown at home)
  4. Physical Wallet (last shown at a location about 3mi from house, probably while driving)

As I wasn't traveling between then and now, I had no idea that they weren't being tracked/working. Then today, I took my backpack with me to a meeting, then came home. When I got home I got a "An AirTag has been detected and you may be being tracked" notification on my iPhone. I pressed play sound, and located the AirTag. It was my backpack one. When I verified it using the NFC "hold your phone over it" for more information it showed up with the tags serial number and the last for of my phone number. So it is obviously my tag and not a swapped one. About 5 minutes later I got another one from my wallet AirTag.

This seems to me to be a system-level issue and not batteries since they literally all disappeared at nearly the exact same time.

What. The. Heck.

2 Things ...

1. If I pay for these things, and apple services, to notify me if I leave things behind, I should get a notification that they are no longer being tracked.
  2. How the heck to I get them working again.

For context, same AppleId I've always used, not a managed account, no settings or network changes (same carrier (even though I know the carrier should have zero impact) and these things are less than 3 months old.

AirTag

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 7:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 8:57 PM

Ok. Got it sorted.

Of the bat, props to Rainy the apple support adviser who helped me get them working again.

First off, it's worth mentioning that this was an issue with some internal updates in the system that required an "Opt-In" with my AppleId to utilize End-To-End Encryption. Ok, technical details over. Not a problem with the AirTags themselves, per sé. More an issue with system-level QA. But heck, I get it. Engineering is hard. Bridges and software systems don't build themselves.

The hot take was to reset the AirTags like this. Then re-pair them. Upon the first re-pair, a notification of up updating your AppleId (or "Opting In") for end-to-end encryption pops up. Agree and sign in to AppleId, then another step of secondary authentication, and the paring goes through, and all is right with the world.

... for now ;)

Hope that helps someone.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2023 8:57 PM in response to tyjsoft

Ok. Got it sorted.

Of the bat, props to Rainy the apple support adviser who helped me get them working again.

First off, it's worth mentioning that this was an issue with some internal updates in the system that required an "Opt-In" with my AppleId to utilize End-To-End Encryption. Ok, technical details over. Not a problem with the AirTags themselves, per sé. More an issue with system-level QA. But heck, I get it. Engineering is hard. Bridges and software systems don't build themselves.

The hot take was to reset the AirTags like this. Then re-pair them. Upon the first re-pair, a notification of up updating your AppleId (or "Opting In") for end-to-end encryption pops up. Agree and sign in to AppleId, then another step of secondary authentication, and the paring goes through, and all is right with the world.

... for now ;)

Hope that helps someone.

All 4 of my AirTags stopped working at the same time and now 1 has triggered a tracking alert on myself.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.