Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change new iOS 17 Notification Sound

I’m not a massive fan of the new notification sound (Rebound). I can live with it, but I prefer the classic tri-tone. At least give me the option to change it back and adjust sounds for individual apps as some app notifications are silent even in ringer mode. Just release a software update to choose notification sounds for individual apps!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 3:59 PM

Please change this! I use the notification for my baby monitor and I need it to wake me up in the night if she is crying in the other room. The new tone isn’t loud enough to wake me up. I suspect this is a problem for lots of parents out there who use their phone for baby monitoring. Please give us the option to change the tone.

96 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2023 3:59 PM in response to zawg

Please change this! I use the notification for my baby monitor and I need it to wake me up in the night if she is crying in the other room. The new tone isn’t loud enough to wake me up. I suspect this is a problem for lots of parents out there who use their phone for baby monitoring. Please give us the option to change the tone.

Oct 2, 2023 7:46 AM in response to zawg

I agree. My Nest camera alert sound is the same as all other alert sounds and after awhile you hear this same sound that you don’t even hear them any longer. I equate this to buying a new house on a busy street. At first all the traffic noise is irritating but in time you don’t even hear the traffic.

Oct 17, 2023 7:20 AM in response to zawg

12 Pro Max on 17.0.3

I am old and need the different tones to separate which app wants my attention. Also, because I don't hear as well as I used to, I need a tone that I can make loud enough to hear and one that lasts a length of time more than a nanosecond. I miss so many notifications that involve work and security. I love my iPhone 12 Pro Max and that my Mac, iPad, and Apple Watch are all integrated and work well together to get work done. But, if I don't hear distinct notifications on the phone or the watch, the whole Apple ecosystem becomes a black hole where ones and zeros die.

Apple has to fix this. I know they want to put it on the developers, which is fine, but enforce that apps must meet certain accessibility requirements.

On Apple's developers' website, they say this to developers:

"Perceivability — Make sure that all content can be perceived whether people are using sight, hearing, or touch."

The notifications for the apps I use were working, so it is reasonable to believe that the developers were doing this. Then Apple pushes an update that strips the features out of almost every app.

Apple, We expect Better!

Dec 27, 2023 5:41 AM in response to zawg

Why can't we pick notification sounds depending on the app? This has been a feature of Android for many, many years but yet Apple are forcing you to have tri-tone as a default sound for everything.

I understand with iOS 17.2 users can now change the default notification tone, but it would be great if we can pick sounds depending on the app so we can truly customise the phone. Having the same sound for every app notification is rather annoying, especially if you're with other people who all have iPhones and you don't know if its your phone that's going off or someone else's. Just please allow us to pick the sounds based on the app.

Oct 23, 2023 9:19 AM in response to Show Joe

Show Joe wrote:

Apple...please give us the ability to change the notification sound, not only for in general, but individual apps as well! Rebound is just too quiet. Personally, I have a Ring alarm system and cameras and really need the notifications to have a unique sound so they will be more prevalent. This is crucial, especially at night or when I am away from home. As you can imagine, responding to someone attempting to pirate a package or sneaking around my home would be useful. Having the ability to assign a unique tone to at least the Ring app would be greatly beneficial!

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 26, 2023 9:47 AM in response to mlcrbk

mlcrbk wrote:

Another case where Apple makes arbitrary changes with an update that makes no sense. I'd love to work somewhere where I have no accountability, whatsoever.

Amazing. Some app notifications are slight chirps that are hardly audible. Who makes these decisions and do they own an iPhone of Android as they have no clue, whatsoever.

Translation: Apple makes decisions I don't like and don't agree with. That makes me sad and angry.

Tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 13, 2023 7:20 AM in response to WhyDoIBotherWithItunes

WhyDoIBotherWithItunes wrote:

It's so frustrating to see that the notification sign has been locked and is not changeable by the user in iOS 17.1.1. Please will Apple kindly revert it back to being modifiable to whatever the user would like?

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 20, 2023 9:48 AM in response to RavenRaine

RavenRaine wrote:

Please change this! It’s absolutely ridiculous to have all apps sound the same without being able to change any of them. A total downgrade that was so unnecessary. Literally why was this done?

Apple does not read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Likewise, no one here in this user-to-user forum would know why Apple does or does not do something. However, I'd guess all the complaints in this forum about the loudness of notifications sounds might have something to do with it.

How to change new iOS 17 Notification Sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.