migration assistant unable to connect: problem+solution

I was recently trying to use migration assistant to transfer data to a 2023 MacBook Pro from a 2020 MacBook Pro. Every time I tried I got the same "unable to connect" problem, and subsequently found many posts on this subject in the community forum. I tried many solutions but had no success until I came across the recommendation in this thread written by Old Toad.

"Using WiFi with Migration Assistant is almost always a receipt for failure. Try connecting the two machines via Ethernet. It'll be much faster and more reliable."

Thank you Old Toad for this suggestion - it worked! HOWEVER, it is extremely difficult to get the computers to connect via ethernet once they attempt to connect via wifi.

TLDR version: 1) once both computers are on the same wifi network, migration assistant will always prioritize wifi over ethernet; 2) it is extremely difficult to get either computer to stop using wifi (turning off wifi on the original computer doesn’t work - migration assistant turns it back on; turning off wifi on the new computer is impossible - once it connects to a wifi network it remembers those credentials and will reconnect even if I tell it to switch to a different network, and there is no way to turn it off).

In the end I had to unplug my wifi access points to force the computers to use ethernet. This worked, eventually. Initial transfer speeds were over 2 GBps but gradually slowed to almost zero. So it took a loooong time.

Hope this helps...

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 1:57 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 1, 2024 9:48 AM in response to crb_tosa

Thanks crb_tosa! What worked for me is to use the Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit Ethernet Adapter on my 2016 MacBook Pro, to an ethernet cable and then plug that into the 2013 MacBook Pro Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. Bypassing the network and connecting the computers directly into each other with the ethernet cable was the only way I could get the Migration Assistant to work. Wi-Fi and the Network connections would not work at all. I could find the computer but it would not connect. It would never get me to the point of the numbers showing up on both machines. Hope this is helpful to someone else struggling with this issue. Thanks and Happy New Year!

migration assistant unable to connect: problem+solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.