Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Widgets added on Sonoma saying "open app on iPhone to continue"

When clicking on iPhone widgets added on macOS Sonoma, a message saying "open app on iPhone to continue" appears on the widgets. When opening the corresponding app on iPhone nothing happens. This does not occur with native mac widgets (clock, news, calendar, etc).

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 7:34 AM

It seems kind of ridiculous to put iPhone "widgets" on the Mac desktop if they don't offer some function other than to remind you to "open your iPhone" and use them there. And it would be really useful to have some functionality from my iPhone apps when using them on Sonoma. The whole thing seems unclear and unfinished to me.

58 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 7:34 AM in response to materazu

It seems kind of ridiculous to put iPhone "widgets" on the Mac desktop if they don't offer some function other than to remind you to "open your iPhone" and use them there. And it would be really useful to have some functionality from my iPhone apps when using them on Sonoma. The whole thing seems unclear and unfinished to me.

Sep 28, 2023 4:58 PM in response to Randall_2023

Thanks for the article. I saw this one too, however, it does not explain why all iOS widgets do not work. If this is a limitation, it is quite surprising that Apple is showcasing this as a new and exciting Sonoma feature which does not work as intended. Only the native macOS widgets interact when clicked on. All others show that "open app on iPhone to continue" message.

Oct 1, 2023 6:10 PM in response to Barney-15E

Continuity is on. All apps are updated. At this point, I am wondering whether ANY iPhone apps work as widgets on the Sonoma desktop. I truly have not found any. And it is absolutely surprising that after a;; the Apple splash about this new feature, none work. One must wonder that if it is indeed that individual apps need top be updated in order to work in the way, Apple did not ensure that at least some of the most popular apps were on boar with this feature prior to promoting it so heavily everywhere??? Quite shocking.

Oct 27, 2023 12:26 PM in response to pkalellis

I fixed it with turning off/on Use iPhone widgets switch in System Settings > Desktop & Dock > Widgets.

Turn it off, wait a minute, and then turn it back on again.

During this process, all of the iPhone widgets disappear from my desktop and then reappear and start to show what they are supposed to show.

Of course, not all of the iOS widgets are ready to be used on MacOS. Some of them that are capable of interacting with the user can't do so on MacOS. Others, like Spotify, don't even show up in the widget chooser. For example, I can view my note list on the Simplenote widget, but I can't edit it without the iPhone. The Google Search widget also does not work for this reason.

Some widgets you add on MacOS that weren't previously added on iPhone won't work until you give them permission: open your iPhone, wait for a prompt, and confirm.

Sep 30, 2023 12:21 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have the same issue .

It's weird, because when I want to add one, it displays correctly in the widget list, but once added on the desktop, not anymore.

This feature was highlighted, so I do not understand why it's not working

I add a screenshot to show. The most interesting is that for instance the one with the count down is my parking payment app. In the widget list as you see I can see the widget counting down the time. But it's empty once added on the dektop

Oct 26, 2023 2:01 PM in response to Barney-15E

OK that's good reasoning, you may be right... But, in that case why are they showing up in Sonoma if they are not supposed to be work, if they were written for iOS. Nobody was there from Apple to test them before releasing Sonoma?

Despite that, I remember that in one of the Sonoma presentations from Youtube, someone was saying that the iPhone, or iPad widgets can work now in Sonoma...

Apr 22, 2024 2:38 PM in response to mjbrin

only thing is i open it on my iphone and it still doesn't work on the mac..... do i have to also install it on the Mac and if so how do I do that. plus it offeres it in the list of widgets on the Mac so it would seem it is already available..... this is baffling

Yes, you would have to install a widget the app developer made for the Mac. The iOS widgets may open on an Apple Silicon Mac but that doesn't mean it will "work." The data displayed in the widget may be stored in the iPhone so there is nothing on the Mac to show--you have to open the iPhone app/widget to see the data.

I'm just guessing that there might be some mechanism to go fetch the data from the iPhone, but if the app doesn't know about this mechanism, you will get the blank screen on the Mac until the app developer updates the app/widget to respond to the request from the Mac.

There are widgets that display data from the web. These may display that data on the Mac because it can go out and retrieve the data from the internet and doesn't need to contact the iPhone.

Oct 15, 2023 4:59 PM in response to pkalellis

When selecting a widget from the available list, look in the upper right corner of the box where you select the size and variation you like. If it is from iPhone, it will say so. If it is from loaded on your Mac, it doesn't say anything. If the app is loaded on both Mac and iPhone, you will have a choice which version to select.

Bottom line, for the widget to work on Mac, it needs that app loaded on Mac to work on it...on the Mac.

Widgets added on Sonoma saying "open app on iPhone to continue"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.