How to convert local files stored in iTunes to Apple Music?

Hello, I want to change my locally stored files in iTunes to the streamable versions in Apple Music. I’m aware that I can upload them to the cloud, and I already have. Please don’t give me advice on how to upload my local files, because that is not my question. Currently, a specific record label (Tzadik) is uploading their catalogue to streaming services, and I would like to stream the versions on Apple Music to stream and support them financially, without manually removing and adding the albums back to my library. It would take a bit of time to replace them manually like that. Will my files be automatically replaced? Is there a way to manually change them without having to delete then add them to my library? Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 5:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 6:02 AM

Not sure, what you are asking.

If you subscribe to Apple Music and turned on the iCloud music library option, all your music is either matched or uploaded to iCloud by the service and can then be streamed to other devices. Matched songs use the version stored in the Apple music catalog. Uploaded songs will stream the uploaded file.

There's no actual conversion to be done beyond that.

If you did something else to upload them to iCloud, then that had nothing to do with Apple Music.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2023 6:02 AM in response to calyscalyscalys

Not sure, what you are asking.

If you subscribe to Apple Music and turned on the iCloud music library option, all your music is either matched or uploaded to iCloud by the service and can then be streamed to other devices. Matched songs use the version stored in the Apple music catalog. Uploaded songs will stream the uploaded file.

There's no actual conversion to be done beyond that.

If you did something else to upload them to iCloud, then that had nothing to do with Apple Music.

Sep 29, 2023 10:32 AM in response to Phil0124

• I added files of album A to my iTunes library
  • Album A is now synced to iCloud
  • Album A was not on Apple Music before, but it has just been added

How can I replace the version of album A I added to iTunes, with the AM version, without deleting my copy and adding the AM version to my library? Do I have to do something in order to replace it, or will it automatically do it?

How to convert local files stored in iTunes to Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.