Bluetooth crashes in MacOS Sonoma (M1 MacBook Pro)

I just upgraded to MacOS Sonoma. Now my bluetooth crashes every 15-45 minutes. Bluetooth turns off entirely (not just devices losing connection).

I already tried all the "bluetooth issues" troubleshooting I found online:

• unpaired and repaired everything
  • deleted `/Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist`
  • reset bluetooth module with `sudo pkill bluetoothd`
  • restart computer
  • turn off wifi

Nothing has worked.

Now I notice a few Crash Reports in the Console app.

Note this does NOT represent all the times bluetooth has turned off (like I said, it probably every 15-45min), but I wonder if maybe it can provide some clues.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Attached is the full copy from the most recent crash report:

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 1:08 AM

I chatted with Apple and they are aware of the issue. However, it would give the issue a higher priority if more people got in touch and notified them they have the same problem.

I also noticed that with macOS 14.0 devices would auto-reconnect after BT crashed, but with macOS 14.1 devices do no longer automatically re-connect and I often have to power-cycle my keyboard and mouse to get them to connect again.

177 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2023 1:08 AM in response to SpoofMeister

I chatted with Apple and they are aware of the issue. However, it would give the issue a higher priority if more people got in touch and notified them they have the same problem.

I also noticed that with macOS 14.0 devices would auto-reconnect after BT crashed, but with macOS 14.1 devices do no longer automatically re-connect and I often have to power-cycle my keyboard and mouse to get them to connect again.

Nov 1, 2023 3:24 PM in response to watzlav

Apparently, the guys in Cupertino, who usually have such a big mouth when it comes to praising the superiority of their oh-so-great amazing products, didn't manage to fix the problem with the 14.1 update either.

2900 Euros for a computer, but a support and a culture to take care of bugs, like a cheap backyard workshop from the Far East. I can't even describe how Apple is getting on my nerves by now.

Dec 3, 2023 6:28 AM in response to _bhb

Adding my journey to the log here:

Short Story: Wipe the entire drive and reinstall/downgrade to Mac OS 13 Ventura.

Long Story: Like many others here, my Bluetooth has been cutting in and out since upgrading to Sonoma. For me, it was happening several times a day. My Mac is an M1 Macbook Pro, and the connected Bluetooth devices are a Magic Trackpad, AirPods (seldom connected), and Keychron Q1 Pro. Here's a list of things I tried that haven't worked:

• spoke with Apple support several times, including capturing and sending extensive logs to them - no dice
  • tried the Onyx approach listed in this thread - no dice
  • ran diagnostics - no issues detected
  • reinstall Mac OS 14 Sonoma without wiping entire drive - no dice
  • reinstall Mac OS 14 Sonoma with wiping entire drive - no dice
  • reinstall/downgrade to Mac OS 13 Ventura with wiping entire drive - success!

Bluetooth has been stable now for several days. At first it wanted to detect my keyboard a few times (more than was needed), but that's since disappeared. I'll be waiting at least several months before testing out Sonoma again on a different drive. Rough stuff.

Note - after running diagnostics I tried downgrading to Mac OS 13 Ventura, but wasn't possible without wiping the drive, as the installer refused to do so. That's when I worked through each of the above 'reinstall' steps.

Edit - I have also tried upgrading to the latest 14.x.x versions - no dice

Nov 10, 2023 4:41 AM in response to _bhb

Has anyone read my post? I solved it in 14.0. Here are the steps: ( you will need a wired keyboard or if you’re using a laptop, you can use the laptop keyboard)

1. unpair the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Make sure they’re gone from Bluetooth.
  2. download and install Onyx
  3. select Maintenance tab in Onyx and disable under Rebuild: Launch Services Database. Under Misc Options, disable Font Cache
  4. click Run Tasks, this will run and ask you to reboot.
  5. after reboot, re-pair your Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

this worked for me, MBP M1 14”

Mar 18, 2024 7:53 PM in response to _bhb

I spoke at length with Apple Support, and they said it’s a known issue with certain models (I’m on a 2021 MBP 16 M1 Max w/ 64 GB ram). When I asked about a fix or a repair under AppleCare, they told me:

1.) it’s not a hardware issue, so it’s not covered under AppleCare

2.) the devs are aware of the issue, and they are no longer needing logs from users

3.) there is no timeline for a fix

4.) I should be “on the lookout” for a future update that might include a fix.

This is nuts.

When I really pressed for options, I was basically told that I could buy an M2 or M3 at full price. 🤬

Apr 15, 2024 5:50 PM in response to _bhb

getting annoyed with the bluetooth dropping, I started to search if anyone else has this: found this tread!

It is unbelievable!

I recently upgraded to a Mac Studio M2 with Sonoma on board.

initially thrilled by the upgrade (still am though), getting used to the speed of things goes really fast. Now starting up my old iMac 2012 seems like … much slower!

but: (!) BT keeps dropping. I run 14.4.1 (23E224)

this seems to be a major thing?

May 6, 2024 12:20 PM in response to _bhb

So it appeared that the problem only occurred when I used the Keychron K8 Pro keyboard. Once I switched to Magic Keyboard, everything went back to normal. Zero issues so far while the bluetooth would crash every hour or so with Keyrchon. Love the Keychon keyboard, not sure why it is causing issues with Mac, it works perfectly fine on Windows.

Apr 10, 2024 5:32 AM in response to _bhb

MacBook Air 15", Apple M2, Sonoma 14.3.1. Have had Macbooks since the Apple Powerbook G4 Titanium in 2001.

Since I migrated to Sonoma the Macbook stops the bluetooth connection with the Apple keyboard and mouse. It happens totally randomly: sometimes it works for hours, sometimes it stops 5 x in 30 minutes. Only thing that helps is switch Bluetooth off and on and wait 5-10 seconds until the Bluetooth connection is restored.

Apple, This Is Ridiculous!!! Fix This!!!

Jan 4, 2024 12:31 PM in response to _bhb

This issue has gotten even worse in 14.2.1! Luckily I am experiencing is on a MacBook, because I now have to disable Bluetooth and re-enable it, then restart my mouse, otherwise it won’t re-connect. That works, because I can use the laptop’s trackpad, now imagine I had an iMac… dear lord, this is embarrassing!

Bluetooth crashes in MacOS Sonoma (M1 MacBook Pro)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.