Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iCloud doesn't work on MacOS 14 Sonoma

I tried to open iCloud from MacOS 14 Sonoma desktop, and was asked to allow it in the Settings.

I tried to toggle the switch on, and switched back to off after a few seconds.

After upgrading to MacOS 14 Sonoma, I no longer have access to documents stored on iCloud.

Mac mini, macOS 14.0

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 8:14 AM

Apple doesn't seem to care. I've always used Apple products, but they have gone WAY downhill in the last few years especially with their customer service and fixing issues. If they can't guarantee that an update will work, they should allow users to downgrade to the previous version that worked, on all devices. My phone and macbook books don't work at all and books keep disappearing. I'm sure Apple doesn't even read these notes. Beyond frustrated.

Similar questions

96 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2023 8:14 AM in response to rayfromboston

Apple doesn't seem to care. I've always used Apple products, but they have gone WAY downhill in the last few years especially with their customer service and fixing issues. If they can't guarantee that an update will work, they should allow users to downgrade to the previous version that worked, on all devices. My phone and macbook books don't work at all and books keep disappearing. I'm sure Apple doesn't even read these notes. Beyond frustrated.

Nov 17, 2023 4:21 PM in response to shellhornj

I had a similar issue.

My Mac wouldn't let me log into icloud so my notes were not showing up. The login to icloud credential window was greyed out or wouldn't let me select.

I disabled wifi

I was then able to logout of icloud. (Which It didn't indicate that I was logged in in the first place)

I then enabled wifi

Then I was able to login again and it started re downloading my notes.

The only thing that changed was that I installed the latest update for Sonoma to bring it to 14.1.1

Hope this helps someone

Oct 4, 2023 3:42 AM in response to chuckbl

Since updating to Sonoma 14 this morning I can't sign in to my icloud account, it doesn't syc the files and I cant sign in to my Outlook accounts. I have tried the suggested fixes on the forum and they don't work. I have deadlines for my PhD thesis and I have spent the last 3 hours trying to sort this out. Either Apple fixes this or how do I update to a different version to end this ridiculousness? HELP...

Oct 2, 2023 6:33 AM in response to shellhornj

Hello shellhornj,

Let's use the applicable set up steps below to boot your Mac into safe mode to see if that behavior persists from there:

Start up in safe mode
Find out whether you're using a Mac with Apple silicon, then follow the appropriate steps.

If you're using a Mac with Apple silicon
1. Shut down your Mac.
2. Press and hold the power button on your Mac. As you continue to hold the power button, your Mac turns on and loads startup options. When you see Options, release the power button.
3. Select your startup disk. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name.
4. Press and hold the Shift key, then click the “Continue in Safe Mode” button below your startup disk.
5. Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

If you're using an Intel-based Mac
If you're not using a Mac with Apple silicon, you're using an Intel-based Mac.
1. Turn on or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key as your Mac starts up.
2. Release the key when you see the login window, then log in to your Mac. 
3. You might be asked to log in again. On either the first or second login window, you should see ”Safe Boot” in the upper-right corner of the window. If you can't start up in safe mode, make sure that your Mac isn't using a firmware password.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

It can take a few extra minutes to boot into safe mode. Your screen may flash or flicker while in safe mode. Those behaviors are expected. Testing in safe mode runs a check on your disk, removes some cached files, and can help isolate conflicts with startup items. Once you've tested that behavior in safe mode, you can restart to leave safe mode.

Let us know your results, and we'll keep moving forward from there.

Oct 8, 2023 6:23 AM in response to shellhornj

SOLUTION: Create a new profile on your machine with same perms (e.g. Admin), then login to that new profile and sign in to your iCloud profile using your Apple ID.

FIXED!

Senior tech at Apple indicated iCloud with some user profiles not syncing with Sonoma update and this is the work-around. Soon a 14.1 release will be provided to address this issue.

Oct 1, 2023 6:04 PM in response to shellhornj

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities shellhornj,

The following information should help you get your iCloud setup on your Mac after upgrading:

• Sign in to iCloud
Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Apple ID. If you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier, click iCloud. Enter your Apple ID. When you sign in, iCloud is turned on automatically.
Have questions about Apple ID?

• Customize your iCloud Settings
Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Apple ID. If you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier, click iCloud. Choose the apps— like Notes, Photos, and iCloud Drive — that you want to use with iCloud.Choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Apple ID. If you’re using macOS Mojave or earlier, click iCloud. Choose the apps— like Notes, Photos, and iCloud Drive — that you want to use with iCloud.

Set up iCloud on your Mac

We hope this helps!

Dec 19, 2023 7:21 AM in response to shellhornj

Intel-based MBP. I am also able to sign into iCloud when I use a different profile on my updated-to-Sonoma (14.2) machine, but when I log back into my profile which has a LOT of stuff on it that I really do not care to migrate to a different profile, it still fails.

1. I type in my appleid
  2. it prompts me for my apple password
  3. If I type it in wrong, it tell me it is wrong. If I type my password in correctly, it pauses a few second and then clears out my Apple id. This tells me that authentication to Apple id is working.

Can anyone tell me what are the particular cache files and such that I need to clear from my profile to reset this process so that it works?

Oct 6, 2023 4:33 PM in response to Kimba1764

Same with me and after 2 days it just magically worked. I turned off my internet network connection for 8 hours and the iMac. At least that is what a computer tech told me to try. It magically worked 12 hours later. I have no idea how it returned. The 'safe mode' didn't work and Apple tech assistance didn't know what was happening. They suggested I contact my network provider and they couldn't help either.

iCloud doesn't work on MacOS 14 Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.