Airpods Pro update 17 has reduce noise cancelling.

I used the Airpods Pro just prior to doing the update and they worked fine, especially on the bus with all the noise in the background. I updated my Airpods Pro to ios 17 and now I hear noise from people talking. I made sure airpods were clean, I made sure the mesh was cleaned, I did all that other people have done with no satisfaction. Made sure that adaptive setting was off with still no satisfaction. I'm not impressed. I specifically purchased these for noise cancelling due to anxiety, and was happy with them until this update. I would like to know what I can do to reverse the update.

iPhone 14

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 1:56 PM

I'm devastated at this update, the noise cancellation was so good prior to this update and now it's awful. I barely notice a difference between noise cancellation and transparency and off.

When will this be fixed?

I feel like my $300 purchase is now useless. When I first got these earbuds the noise cancellation was incredible, all the sounds from my neighbours were silenced and now once again I can hear my neighbour's tv and washing machine through the wall.

Why are the earbuds no longer cancelling out these low muffled sounds?

Please please please fix asap.

41 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2023 1:56 PM in response to gerry167

I'm devastated at this update, the noise cancellation was so good prior to this update and now it's awful. I barely notice a difference between noise cancellation and transparency and off.

When will this be fixed?

I feel like my $300 purchase is now useless. When I first got these earbuds the noise cancellation was incredible, all the sounds from my neighbours were silenced and now once again I can hear my neighbour's tv and washing machine through the wall.

Why are the earbuds no longer cancelling out these low muffled sounds?

Please please please fix asap.

Dec 9, 2023 2:06 PM in response to gerry167

Oh man the new update 6b34 for AirPods Pro 2 has made the noise cancellation so much worse. I now can hear background noise in the gym and even in the supermarket while listening to podcasts.

I usually keep the AirPods far away from my phone when charging so it doesn’t automatically update but few days ago I accidentally left it near my phone and it must have automatically updated. This is ridiculous why can I not go back to the old firmware. It ruins the whole experience.

Dec 13, 2023 4:36 PM in response to KiltedTim

Even if you do all the above, it’s not gonna work, the conversation awareness, canceling the adaptive and going noise cancellation we are speaking on something we got used to before iOS 17 to a very superb noise cancellation I can’t hear nobody around me and I know in the settings I choose noise cancellation specifically and I take the conversation awareness off since I’ve updated it gone bad, i’ve tried everything, they reduced the noise cancellation on purpose I think for something legal or somewhat so you will be still aware of the things around you, but I don’t want that.

that’s why I bought the AirPods

Oct 5, 2023 1:41 PM in response to gerry167

Thank you for writing back

did exactly as you wrote with no satisfaction x 3 times just to make sure

used AirPods Pro on the bus today and felt like I had no AirPods in my ears

Even did the fit test and test stated that they were secure in my ears

I made sure the conversation awareness was not on

I am in a store right now and I can hear everyone’s conversation, I have been in this store prior to the update and heard no one which is very disappointing

I am very unhappy with these results

Oct 5, 2023 10:21 PM in response to BrianK90

I’m having the same problem that this guy is having after the update. It sucks. The noise cancellation is worthless. I did all the instructions that you told me about and nothing worked. It’s the same thing before the update. The AirPods was amazing, now it is awful.

so it’s not an individual problem because my friend telling me the same thing and then one that made the post also have the same problem Apple needs to fix that update

Dec 17, 2023 12:53 PM in response to gerry167

Yes, noise cancellation doesn’t work at all after update to IOS 17. The change is significantly that I can hear a lot of noises now. This update is garbage. If I only knew that my air pods pro will be such poor experience now, I will never do this update. Now, they play like the permanent adaptive mode is on, it sounds like cheap headphones worth 15$ max. Also, speakers have poor sound quality as well now, when before update I used to listen a lot of music through them. I don’t have idea what to do now. Change to 16? Wait for fix update? These tips from support are worthless. Everyone knows it’s software issue, and it seems that they do nothing to help us.

Apr 21, 2024 8:29 PM in response to gerry167

If you are a student like me I know you probably put in a lot of effort to buy these noise cancellation airpods. It worked great the first week and then I could hear even the slightest sniffle and rustling. Don't waste your money on these earbuds. They're expensive & they don't cancel out any noise they just muffle it while accentuating the smallest and most random sound. Save your money.

Jan 20, 2024 12:27 PM in response to gerry167

I’ve got the same problem with my AirPods Pro 2. The noise cancellation has become next to useless recently. I can’t tell the difference between off, transparency and noise cancellation modes! And no, conversation awareness is OFF and they aren’t set to adaptive mode before anybody asks. I’ve tried a full reset too. They are also kept very clean with new tips fitted.

Utter rubbish! This needs a fix, quickly.

PS: feedback form filled in.

Airpods Pro update 17 has reduce noise cancelling.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.