Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

csrutil disabled but still unable to change previlages

I disabled csrutil, rebooted in recovery mode, and then checked the status. It's off, but now, when I try to change the privileges on the Macintosh HD or the System folder in my Mac to give read and write permission to myself or add me, I don't have permission.

This is absurd. It's my computer, and I can't change privileges, but there is no support for this, not anywhere on the internet. Is there anyone at Apple who can solve this problem

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 7:01 PM

Here are two Apple articles regarding the changes to the drive layout beginning with macOS 10.15 and further changed in macOS 11.x+ which prevents anyone from modifying items within the macOS system area:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina or later - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

There is no need to write to the system area. If you want full control of the system, then you are using the wrong OS.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 7:01 PM in response to dwijeshbharadwaj

Here are two Apple articles regarding the changes to the drive layout beginning with macOS 10.15 and further changed in macOS 11.x+ which prevents anyone from modifying items within the macOS system area:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina or later - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

There is no need to write to the system area. If you want full control of the system, then you are using the wrong OS.

Sep 30, 2023 12:25 PM in response to dwijeshbharadwaj

dwijeshbharadwaj wrote:

I disabled csrutil, rebooted in recovery mode, and then checked the status. It's off, but now, when I try to change the privileges on the Macintosh HD or the System folder in my Mac to give read and write permission to myself or add me, I don't have permission.

No, you don't. Neither does anyone else any more.

Is there anyone at Apple who can solve this problem

No. To contact Apple, Contact Apple.

csrutil disabled but still unable to change previlages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.