You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 15 pro max catching fire

Is this a problem, and should I cancel my pre order?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 4:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2024 4:25 PM

Just seen what can happen with a iPhone 15 pro max. Family member left his on the driver’s seat of truck in the driveway. Neighbor who is a police officer said that he first saw smoke coming from the truck and figured someone was vaping. Outside temperature was 40 degrees and no the phone wasn’t on charge. End result was hole burnt out of seat the size of a cantaloupe. Luckily it was put out in time to save the truck!

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2024 4:25 PM in response to KaeBFly

Just seen what can happen with a iPhone 15 pro max. Family member left his on the driver’s seat of truck in the driveway. Neighbor who is a police officer said that he first saw smoke coming from the truck and figured someone was vaping. Outside temperature was 40 degrees and no the phone wasn’t on charge. End result was hole burnt out of seat the size of a cantaloupe. Luckily it was put out in time to save the truck!

Mar 27, 2024 5:26 AM in response to Santefia

First, apple super fan. I have had every Iphone (counting my kids 30 iphones) and almost every apple product ever made. My phone started heating up and battery displacing more than 50% in two hours with limited use it seems after last update. Was hoping most recent update fixed this, I have been on apple support three times and in store twice, now third on Friday. I appreciate apple has a process to vet out user error, but darn wish they were more reasonable. I walked through everything that i trouble shoot and admit it is unusually warm, but unless their diagnostics show a hot temp warning, conversation ends.

Sep 30, 2023 4:35 PM in response to joehkc

There has been absolutely no report of an iPhone 15 catching on fire. Most reports of it overheating are not actually overheating in the sense that the warning message pops up and alerts of overheating and stops some functions until it safely cools down. They are getting warmer than expected (which is an annual occurrence every time a new device and iOS releases for various reasons). You could cancel your order if you want. It would be an overreaction but do whatever gives you peace of mind. That’s what matters most. But you thinking iPhone 15’s are catching on fire are absolutely based on nothing.

Sep 30, 2023 5:07 PM in response to joehkc

As great as the internet is unfortunately there are a lot of misleading and false stories on every topic floating around out there. If there were actual dangerous occurrences like devices catching on fire that would be reported on every reputable news outlet…even on television. Much like years ago when that was an actual issue with one of the Samsung devices.

Feb 12, 2024 12:15 AM in response to KaeBFly

I have a 15 pro max. I’ve used multiple different earlier iPhones before. They rarely heated. My iPhone 15 overheats almost every time I use it and I usually only use a browser with no other apps open in the background. The pattern is this: use the phone continuously for about 10 minutes doing very active browsing (I’m researching something) with multiple tabs and more being open and some close. It’s 100% percent reproducible. I also happen to be in the test and automation engineering so it’s not my imagination or personal opinion, it’s a fact and after seeing many of posts like this, now into February 2024, it’s clear that I’m not the only one. It’s a shame that Apple found this problem last year, then highly publicized it was fixed with an update and then stop taking about it knowing the problem still exists. Apple being the biggest and most expensive name in world class consumer products engineering and design should do the Apple thing to do and replace all customers overheating iPhones with brand new ones with the hardware fix. I said hardware as only such type of irreplaceable problems would explain Apple going silent and instructing its customer facing employees to tell customers their broken hardware pan frying their hands are just operating as expected. Yes, it gets so hot you have to put it down and hope such high heat didn’t fry some internal component, at least not today

Feb 12, 2024 12:25 AM in response to Meankitty1974

I’m not surprised. At least mine gets hot pretty quickly, like one moment it’s normal then within 5 to 10 second you start feeling a radiating metal heat front the whole back casing, akin to putting your hand close to one of those old iron radiator units in the corner of your room. The metal MagSafe right from most new cases doesn’t help as they transfer the heat directly to your hand.

iPhone 15 pro max catching fire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.