Sonoma: Macbook Pro (M1 2020) Touch Bar is not working after update (Flickers during restart then once logged in, it disappears)

I upgraded to Sonoma yesterday on my Macbook Pro (M1 2020). Touch Bar keeps flickering during startup (looks like it is glitching) then once logged in, it disappears. What could be a issue?

Tried safe mode, tried sudo pkill from terminal, and everything else online.

Could this be a hardware failure because of Sonoma?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 11:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2023 6:11 PM

I upgraded to Sonoma and experienced Touch Bar strobing after upgrade. I reinstalled it again thinking I had a bad build. After fresh install, Touch Bar strobed until it went dark. Now I don't have an escape key which is irritating. I've tried everything online to fix it to no avail. In addition my activity monitor crashes every time I open it!

Similar questions

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2023 6:11 PM in response to MoTahboub

I upgraded to Sonoma and experienced Touch Bar strobing after upgrade. I reinstalled it again thinking I had a bad build. After fresh install, Touch Bar strobed until it went dark. Now I don't have an escape key which is irritating. I've tried everything online to fix it to no avail. In addition my activity monitor crashes every time I open it!

Oct 1, 2023 4:06 AM in response to WheelieNick

I tried everything possible and nothing worked. Here's a video to show you how it flickers.

https://share.zight.com/jku6lOA2

The thing is, once I log in, it disappears, however the touchbar is still functional. When I am logged in, I can still click on things (volume for example, mute...etc) but it is not showing me anything. This has never happened before.

Nov 17, 2023 6:21 PM in response to MoTahboub

I had the same issue right after updating my system to Sonoma. Right after updating my touchbar was black with no icons or lights. I continuously restarted and did a couple of hard resets on the computer. The touchbar then finally came back on and worked. However since the upgrade, sometimes the touchbar will disappear again (going black with no icons) when I restart my computer. I then have to do a couple of restarts and hard resets for the touchbar to reappear. Hope they can fix it ASAP.

Dec 22, 2023 9:18 AM in response to MoTahboub

its End of December 2023 now - is this issue fixed @apple support. I have a MacBook Pro with Intel chip - and a Touch Bar

MoTahboub wrote:

I upgraded to Sonoma yesterday on my Macbook Pro (M1 2020). Touch Bar keeps flickering during startup (looks like it is glitching) then once logged in, it disappears. What could be a issue?
Tried safe mode, tried sudo pkill from terminal, and everything else online.

Could this be a hardware failure because of Sonoma?

Jan 10, 2024 12:28 PM in response to MoTahboub

I am having this same issue since Sonoma. I was told there was a fix in the latest update, I updated and the issue still exists. The strobing touch bar happens when I open my MacBook from sleep, then 50% of the time it will glitch out and turn off the touch bar, 25% of the time it will work as normal then turn off randomly, and 25% of the time it will completely crash the OS and restart laptop (and every app I had open). I went back to Apple and am now being told its hardware. I am sure it is software related.

Oct 3, 2023 1:39 PM in response to MoTahboub

i'm experiencing the exact same problem! i've been trying to return my computer back to ventura (or whichever software it was on before sonoma) this is very very very infuriating these devices cost WAY too much money (even more if you have apple care) just for simple functions to not be working properly / as promised when we users update to the newest software

Oct 7, 2023 6:47 AM in response to MoTahboub

Hey,

Did you already find a solution?

So my Touch Bar was full of blue spots a few days ago and now it turned completely black after the update.

It is still functioning when I touch it but just the lightning is not working at all, completely black :(

So annoyed and stressed at the moment haha! Should I go to an Apple Store or something?

Kind regards,

Jhamel

Apr 6, 2024 11:07 AM in response to MoTahboub

I am having the same issue. I installed Sonoma awhile ago, however recently my Touch Bar started flickering. This is my main machine, so I use it a lot. The specs are the following: M1 MacBook Pro, 256GB of storage, 16GB of ram.

2 weeks into the Touch Bar flickering, it just went dark. It still registers touch, however nothing shows up on the Touch Bar.

I would believe this to be a hardware problem, possibly related to the cable that connects the Touch Bar to the motherboard. I don't want to get the full top case of my laptop replaced, because it might be better to just buy a new laptop, because I have already gotten the display replaced.

Sonoma: Macbook Pro (M1 2020) Touch Bar is not working after update (Flickers during restart then once logged in, it disappears)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.