Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Has anyone else (besides me) noticed how bad apple telephone support has become?

Yesterday I did an update to Mac OS on my iMac. Immediately after the update completed, I got a pop-up that said "MajorCharacterSearchDaemon" will damage your computer. There were 2 possibilities: "OK" and "Show in Finder". Neither option did anything. The pop-up is still on my desktop. It will not go away, and comes back if I restart or shut down then restart. I have never seen this after any update or any other time.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 1:38 PM

If the Malware was Installed on this computer and it attempted to Launch - again the Operating System has done its' job

In which case >>

There is Adware & Malware which will affect the computer and is generally downloaded from “ Shady “ Websites or Developers who Inject this software into the download.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, download directly from the Developer , the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 1:38 PM in response to austinag

If the Malware was Installed on this computer and it attempted to Launch - again the Operating System has done its' job

In which case >>

There is Adware & Malware which will affect the computer and is generally downloaded from “ Shady “ Websites or Developers who Inject this software into the download.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, download directly from the Developer , the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Oct 1, 2023 1:13 PM in response to austinag

By Virtue of your image above - the Operating System is doing what it is intended to do.

Protect the Computer from the User ( you ) allowing an identified piece of Malware to be allowed to install on this computer

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Mac app security enhancements

Security. Built right in

Perhaps not what you what to read but there it is

Has anyone else (besides me) noticed how bad apple telephone support has become?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.