Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 15 can't text Android phones

I got the 15 last week and I cannot text non iPhones. Sometimes, they go through individually, sometimes not and never if within a group. My settings have not changed. I have checked the usual issues and removed the 1- from in front of the phone numbers. Help! This is more than an annoyance, as some groups are essential for work.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 12:58 PM

I got the 15 Pro two weeks ago and I cannot text non iPhones. Sometimes, they go through individually, sometimes not and never if within a group. The same as the person above! My settings have not changed. I have checked the usual issues SMS and MMS messaging... It is the group text situation that is a HUGE problem.

I have contacted my carrier T-Mobile and they said it is an issue with Apple. I contacted Apple and after talking with several people I finally got a higher up guy who said he has seen this before and everyone in the group text thread (the text threads with both apple and android) has to delete and empty the trash on that text thread and then it can be rebuilt but only if everyone DELETES the text thread. It seems that after paying this much money the iphone 15 should be able to talk to all android users!

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 12:58 PM in response to Smalltowngirl88

I got the 15 Pro two weeks ago and I cannot text non iPhones. Sometimes, they go through individually, sometimes not and never if within a group. The same as the person above! My settings have not changed. I have checked the usual issues SMS and MMS messaging... It is the group text situation that is a HUGE problem.

I have contacted my carrier T-Mobile and they said it is an issue with Apple. I contacted Apple and after talking with several people I finally got a higher up guy who said he has seen this before and everyone in the group text thread (the text threads with both apple and android) has to delete and empty the trash on that text thread and then it can be rebuilt but only if everyone DELETES the text thread. It seems that after paying this much money the iphone 15 should be able to talk to all android users!

Oct 7, 2023 10:26 PM in response to Smalltowngirl88

Smalltowngirl88 Said:

"IPhone 15 can't text Android: I got the 15 last week and I cannot text non iPhones. Sometimes, they go through individually, sometimes not and never if within a group. My settings have not changed. I have checked the usual issues and removed the 1- from in front of the phone numbers. Help! This is more than an annoyance, as some groups are essential for work."

-------

Troubleshooting Messages App:

This is a well-known issue. Something Apple likely is working on. The messaging issue is typically occurring between an iPhone and an Android device. iOS and Android are two, completely separate platforms.

So, Report this as a Bug to Apple:

Do your Part: Provide Apple with feedback on this, letting them know about this issue.  Apple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is occurring, and what bug fixes to include in updates to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: on when this issue began, and how you have troubleshot it, thus far. Include the URL of this post
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Apr 6, 2024 2:02 PM in response to Smalltowngirl88

After hours on the phone with ATT and Apple, I believe I have the answer. Iphone 12/11 had Advanced Messaging for larger MMS to non-iphones. Iphone 15 doesn't have that option. My outgoing MMS are limited to 1MB (true statement) on ATT and with no Advanced Messaging option on iphone 15 Pro Max, MMS are compressed to 1MB, so very blurry with lines, etc. Apple says they are going to add RCS to iphones in the fall with IOS 18, but we'll see. Some carriers offer higher outgoing MMS levels, but not ATT, which I confirmed with them. In the meantime, I recommend holding on to the older iphones and not upgrading if you want to send higher quality videos or photos, etc. I tried a 2 second, 720 film and it still didn't work.

Dec 14, 2023 6:55 AM in response to username1965

Very helpful. I just got a new work phone and nothing has changed in my settings. I have Verizon on this work phone. I will ask IT about Integrating Messaging. I can receive texts from Androids but I get an immediate "Not Delivered" in red when trying to send a text to an android. My boss has a droid and he is the one I need to text to from this work phone

iPhone 15 can't text Android phones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.