macOS Sonoma install problem

I have tried three times to install Sonoma on my 2022 M2 MacBook Air, and each time it gets to "52 minutes remaining" and goes no further. I have tried trashing the install program and redownloading it, but that produced the same results. Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 12:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 1:06 PM

You might want to update using the safe mode to fix this

First boot your Mac in the safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

When booted into the safe mode, go to system settings>general>software update like you usually do when trying to update. See if the update will continue this way.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 1:06 PM in response to PFMPHD

You might want to update using the safe mode to fix this

First boot your Mac in the safe mode

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.
  2. Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.
  3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.
  4. Select a volume.
  5. Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.
  6. The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

When booted into the safe mode, go to system settings>general>software update like you usually do when trying to update. See if the update will continue this way.

macOS Sonoma install problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.