How can I prevent Photos from loading each time I log on to my macbook?

After digitizing many photos and importing them into Photos app, I now have the minor, but annoying, issue of Photos loading every time I wake the MacBook. I have checked log in items and that's not the problem. I always close the app when I'm done. How can I stop it from loading?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 2:21 PM

Hi GrantsBlended,

If the Photos app keeps opening and it is not in your startup items, you can try a few other steps:

1. If this is happening when you turn the computer on, ensure Reopen windows when logged back in is not selected Prevent apps and windows from reopening on Mac.
  2. Continue to "Other Solutions" in the previous article.
  3. Make sure the app is closing. If you see Photos on the menu bar at the top left, but you don't see the window, the app is still open. Try to close it from the menu bar and if that doesn't work force quit it. How to force an app to quit on your Mac.
  4. Quit the app process in Activity Monitor Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac.
  5. Test if this happen in safe mode then restart and try again as it clears caches Use safe mode on your Mac.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2023 2:21 PM in response to GrantsBlended

Hi GrantsBlended,

If the Photos app keeps opening and it is not in your startup items, you can try a few other steps:

1. If this is happening when you turn the computer on, ensure Reopen windows when logged back in is not selected Prevent apps and windows from reopening on Mac.
  2. Continue to "Other Solutions" in the previous article.
  3. Make sure the app is closing. If you see Photos on the menu bar at the top left, but you don't see the window, the app is still open. Try to close it from the menu bar and if that doesn't work force quit it. How to force an app to quit on your Mac.
  4. Quit the app process in Activity Monitor Quit an app or process in Activity Monitor on Mac.
  5. Test if this happen in safe mode then restart and try again as it clears caches Use safe mode on your Mac.

Hope this helps.

Take care.

How can I prevent Photos from loading each time I log on to my macbook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.