Callers can’t hear me on calls after iOS 17 update

I have an iPhone 12 and I updated to iOS 17 yesterday. When I receive or place calls, I can hear the person but they can’t hear me. I tried my phone, speakerphone, AirPods, and my car Bluetooth and nothing works. Voice memos work and FaceTime audio works. I’m only experiencing this issue with calls. I’ve restarted my phone several times and nothing works.

iPhone XS, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 3:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 8:23 AM

I updated my iPhone now callers can’t hear me,anyone knows how to fix this issue?

60 replies

Jan 20, 2024 2:52 PM in response to e_a_11

I have the exact same issue.

• Microphones work fine, both front and back - can be tested easily be recording a video with front/back camera. Sound is crystal clear, so this can't be a hardware issue
  • FaceTime works, anything where the voice is carried through internet as data, the microphone works
  • The only instance where microphone doesn't work properly is when placing a call through mobile network. I can hear everything but the person on the other side does not hear me at all, or hears me from very far away or they hear a weird noise.
  • Sometimes this can be fixed by switching microphone to voice isolation in the call, but it does not help always. Switching the call to speaker sometimes helps too, not always.
  • To be able to make calls I have to use headphones, which fortunately always work. So the issue is clearly with built-in microphones only.
  • I have tried everything, no help
  • If anyone finds a solution please let us know. This is extremely frustrating

Nov 16, 2023 5:19 PM in response to e_a_11

IOS 17.1.1 & WatchOS 10.1.1 have been some of the sloppiest and most dysfunctional OS releases I have experienced as a lifelong Apple customer. Both were riddled with bugs pre-release, post release, and in the subsequent update patches. And yet, the most basic of functions simply do not work. It's a shame because the hardware is well engineered, but the sloppy OS releases only disenfranchise and frustrate users in a way that tarnishes the brand. So much so that I have stopped using the watch and have no plans to replace it. I was getting ready to update my phone to an iPhone 15 Pro, but decided that when my current iPhone dies, I will just replace it with something other than an Apple product. Call me silly, but I do expect to be able to make calls from my iPhone and to be heard, which is currently not possible. How long before they realize Craig is in over his head and the result is that Apple is loosing customers because of it.

Nov 29, 2023 1:09 PM in response to e_a_11

I was exactly where you are. Tried all the things you had and to arrive at a similar outcome. What I ended up doing is running an app on the app store called Check My Device. I ran the app, to see if it would report back something specific or a fix. While it did not report back a specific issue or fix, after I ran it, the issue was resolved. So while kind of a mystery, I surmise that running the tests in the app and having it access the various functions somehow righted the issue as it has not come back. Your result may be different than mine, perhaps it will even report a specific issue in your case. Either way, it only took a few moments and seems like a useful app to at least validate what may be broken or not. Meaning, you have nothing to loose. Good luck.

Nov 29, 2023 12:08 PM in response to Jeff_W.

I’ve tried all of these and it’s still not working. It’s been months since I could use the phone app and it’s really getting old. I reset my network setting last night and it worked for maybe an hour. Tried resetting it again today and nothing. I can’t hear them and they can’t hear me using the phone app but if I call on messenger or Snapchat it works. If I try to use the speaker calling someone it turns the speaker off.

Oct 4, 2023 2:18 PM in response to e_a_11

Hi e_a_11,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.  

Please try these troubleshooting steps first if the microphone issue only happens with phone calls: If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone:

The following steps may also help to resolve the issue:

• Turn Airplane Mode on wait about a minute, then disable Airplane Mode again.
  • Open Settings > General > About on your iPhone and install any carrier updates if you are prompted. 
  • Go to Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will erase all current saved settings, including Wi-Fi passwords, preferred networks, and VPN settings.
  • Try using your iPhone in multiple locations to be sure this is not a coverage issue. 
  • Contact your carrier to be sure there are no outages or issues with your account. 

All the best! 

Jan 13, 2024 11:38 AM in response to pinkshoes1116

That’s where I landed after more than 30 years with Apple. The latest releases of MacOS, IOS, and Watch OS are riddled with issues. Several subsequent incremental updates addressed none of them.

The decline in a reliable OS and the lost productivity that goes with sloppy OS releases is inexcusable and intolerable. The only reliable fix I can see is moving to a stable and reliable ecosystem and at present Apple is seemingly incapable of delivering a stable and reliable OS on any of its devices.

Callers can’t hear me on calls after iOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.