Clear system cache on Macbook pro

Hi There, I checked other similar topics in here but I could not find the answer I was looking for. every now and then my mac seems to struggle working with multiple applications opened and when it happens I usually save everything a restart and it kinda fix itself. I thought it could be a problem with my system cache and I found out that the cache folder takes almost 9GB of space on my drive so I was wondering if it is normal, if I can delete some files to make it smaller and if this would actually help or not.

thanks anyone for your help.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 4:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 6:00 PM

Cache files exist to increase a Mac's performance. If you were to delete them, they would need to be rebuilt, which takes system resources. In other words no, it won't help.

Booting "Safe Mode" deletes certain cache files maintained by the system: Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. That's the only cache file deletion that should ever be required on a Mac — and it is not something that needs to be done routinely. Your situation counts as of those circumstances in which it may be justified.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2023 6:00 PM in response to Marco0480

Cache files exist to increase a Mac's performance. If you were to delete them, they would need to be rebuilt, which takes system resources. In other words no, it won't help.

Booting "Safe Mode" deletes certain cache files maintained by the system: Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support. That's the only cache file deletion that should ever be required on a Mac — and it is not something that needs to be done routinely. Your situation counts as of those circumstances in which it may be justified.

Clear system cache on Macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.