Listen to voice memos in music app?

In the past years I was able to record voice memos on my iPhone, send them to my mac, create a new playlist in iTunes, add the voice memos to the playlist, and then be able to listen to my voice memos in a specific order on my phone using the iTunes app.

I tried this recently and can't get the playlist to sync back to my iphone. Can anyone think of a reason it doesn't work now when it did in the past? I've converted them voice memos to AAC within the music app but neither the playlist nor the songs will populate in my iPhone's Music app.

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 5:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 7:08 AM

Hi msully555,

Based on the article here: Sync music between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch you should see an option to include voice memos when you sync. It seems expected for it to be a music file when syncing this way. The information can also be found in step seven from the steps below found in the same article.

"Sync music to your device

1. Connect your device to your Mac.

You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or using a Wi-Fi connection. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.

2. In the Finder on your Mac, select the device in the Finder sidebar.

If you connect your device to your Mac using a USB cable and don’t see the device in the Finder sidebar, see If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar

3. Click Music in the button bar.

The button bar showing Music selected.

4. Select the “Sync music onto [device name]” checkbox to turn on syncing of your music.

With the checkbox selected, syncing is set to transfer all your music to your device. 

“Sync music onto device” checkbox appears with additional options for syncing your entire library or only selected items and including videos and voice memos in the syncing process.

5. To sync a selection of music, click “Selected playlist, artists, albums, and genres.”

6. Select the checkbox for each item you want to sync in the music list. Deselect the checkbox for any item you don’t want to sync.

Click Artists, Albums, Genres, or Playlists to see your content organized by that category. 

7. Select syncing options: 

• Select the “Include videos” checkbox to include videos when syncing.
    • Select the “Include voice memos” checkbox to include voice memos when syncing.
    • Select the “Automatically fill free space with songs” checkbox to have your Mac fill the free space on your device with songs when syncing. Use this option if you have a large music library on your Mac but don’t have room to sync all of your music to your device. This option syncs as many songs as possible. See Fill your device with a random selection of songs using Autofill.

8. When you’re ready to sync, click Apply."

However in a previous post with a similar ask, you might be able to copy and paste or drag and drop. Transfer Voice Memos from Voice Memos App… - Apple Community

If you still need assistance, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist. Get Support

Best.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 7:08 AM in response to msully555

Hi msully555,

Based on the article here: Sync music between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch you should see an option to include voice memos when you sync. It seems expected for it to be a music file when syncing this way. The information can also be found in step seven from the steps below found in the same article.

"Sync music to your device

1. Connect your device to your Mac.

You can connect your device using a USB or USB-C cable or using a Wi-Fi connection. See Sync content between your Mac and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch over Wi-Fi.

2. In the Finder on your Mac, select the device in the Finder sidebar.

If you connect your device to your Mac using a USB cable and don’t see the device in the Finder sidebar, see If your device doesn’t appear in the sidebar

3. Click Music in the button bar.

The button bar showing Music selected.

4. Select the “Sync music onto [device name]” checkbox to turn on syncing of your music.

With the checkbox selected, syncing is set to transfer all your music to your device. 

“Sync music onto device” checkbox appears with additional options for syncing your entire library or only selected items and including videos and voice memos in the syncing process.

5. To sync a selection of music, click “Selected playlist, artists, albums, and genres.”

6. Select the checkbox for each item you want to sync in the music list. Deselect the checkbox for any item you don’t want to sync.

Click Artists, Albums, Genres, or Playlists to see your content organized by that category. 

7. Select syncing options: 

• Select the “Include videos” checkbox to include videos when syncing.
    • Select the “Include voice memos” checkbox to include voice memos when syncing.
    • Select the “Automatically fill free space with songs” checkbox to have your Mac fill the free space on your device with songs when syncing. Use this option if you have a large music library on your Mac but don’t have room to sync all of your music to your device. This option syncs as many songs as possible. See Fill your device with a random selection of songs using Autofill.

8. When you’re ready to sync, click Apply."

However in a previous post with a similar ask, you might be able to copy and paste or drag and drop. Transfer Voice Memos from Voice Memos App… - Apple Community

If you still need assistance, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist. Get Support

Best.

Oct 5, 2023 1:51 PM in response to msully555

Hi msully555,

Thanks for reaching out! We're happy to assist. You are correct that some Voice Memo functionalities have changed over iOS versions. If you have Voice Memos that you synced previously, you might be able to find them in the Voice Memos app on your iPhone.

If not, your best bet would be to look into using iCloud to sync Voice Memos, or you'll find other sharing options here that might work for you: See your recordings on all your Apple devices - Apple Support

You'd find any available voice memos in the Voice Memos app on your iPhone rather than the Music app. Let us know if you have any questions.

Take care.

Oct 5, 2023 11:00 PM in response to ryane77

Hey! I think you might have replied to the wrong message. My issue is created playlists in Music app on my Mac not syncing to my iPhone. The playlist itself doesn't even show up. The media inside the playlist is a converted Voice Memo (now an AAC file after conversion) so the Music app just views it as a music file now.

Back when it was iTunes, created playlists on my Mac synced to my iPhone, but now they aren't.

Listen to voice memos in music app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.