Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iphone 15 pro max does not recognize my external SSD.

iphone 15 pro max 512GB does not recognize my external SSD by Seagate Firecuda 2TB. The drive has a usb C connector. It works fine with the ipad mini and my macbook air. The disk is formated to Exfat using mac os 14.0.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 9:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 10:16 PM

I’m having the same issue with Sandisk extreme Pro 2tb.

36 replies

Oct 20, 2023 1:09 PM in response to yoosuf86

I am having the same issue... kind of. It worked the first time, and I even shot some video. I connected that drive to my MacStudio, and accessed it fine. Next time I plugged it into the iPhone, it didn't show up. I shut down and restarted the phone and it worked again. BUT, once I unplugged it and then re-plugged it in, it didn't work again.

Only shutting down the whole phone and re-starting seems to work. I tried logging out and back in, which didn't help. I tried closing the camera app completely, and that also didn't help. Only restarting the entire phone is making it work again.

Nov 3, 2023 7:33 PM in response to ENALIFE

I've encountered the same issue with my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I've tested it with five different SSDs using an RTL9210B case. After spending 4 hours testing various USB 3.2, USB4, and Thunderbolt cables, I've come to the conclusion that the 4.5W output on the iPhone's USB-C port is insufficient for the 2TB SSD.

In contrast, when I tried the same 2TB SSDs with the RTL9210B case on my iPad Pro M1 and iMac 27, they worked flawlessly.

Nov 30, 2023 11:05 PM in response to yoosuf86

I watched a YouTube video where the guy was showing proof that it’s nvme gen 4 that doesn’t work. If you get a gen 3 then it works fine. But you commit combine it with a thunderbolt 4 cable. Needs to thunderbolt 3 or usb c 3.1 gen 2 or whatever they can the latest usb-c generation just before usb 4.

https://youtu.be/Uk-3yp9Zc3E

https://youtu.be/h9DiORV6DRc

https://youtu.be/YHbkrF4W1cI

the guy tried loads of combinations and that was his conclusion.

Nov 30, 2023 10:33 AM in response to yoosuf86

I had the exact same issue. But I solved it. If you have password protected your external SSD (I have a Samsung T9 2TB, and a SanDisk Extreme Pro 500GB), you will just need to enter the password when you connect the SSD to your iPhone. This can be done by just opening the "Files" app on your iPhone, then click on the name of your external SSD attached, then following the prompt and entering your password. Once that is done you will be able to access your external SSD normally. In my case, I use the external SSD for direct export of my ProRes Log video files. Working flawlessly now. I will send an Apple Developers a message alerting them to this oversight, and hope that they address this issue in a subsequent iOS 17.2 beta update, or maybe 17.3. On my MacBook Air, there is no issue because I am prompted to enter my password when attaching the external SSD, or, in the current case, I have allowed Keychain Access to the external SSD so that the SSD is already authorized when I am logged into my Mac (via fingerprint ID, or manual password to my Mac). As for appropriate cables, make sure you are using the appropriate speed rating for the cables (not just for power), or your date will not transfer at the proper speed and frame dropping will result, or worse. Make sure your external SSD is also compatible (in speed), with the iPhone 15 (Pro or Pro Max). Hope this helps everyone.

Oct 5, 2023 3:55 PM in response to yoosuf86

Hello yoosuf86,

If your external drive is not recognized by your iPhone 15, first ensure you are following these steps from Charge and connect with the USB-C connector on your iPhone 15 (that you've already looked over)

Connect your iPhone to your iPad, Mac, and other computers
You can connect your iPhone to your iPad, Mac, and other computers to transfer data, like your photos and videos, using a USB-C cable compliant with the USB-C standard, such as the cable that comes with your iPhone. These cables are widely available from Apple and other manufacturers. Just connect one end of the included USB-C charge cable to the USB-C connector on your iPhone and the other to the USB-C port on your computer.

Your iPhone will charge while connected to these devices. iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max support fast USB 3.2 Gen 2 speeds up to 10Gbit per second when using an optional USB 3 cable.*

*The USB-C cable that comes with your iPhone supports charging and USB 2 speeds. If you want to use a USB 3 device, use a compliant USB 3 cable that supports 10Gbit/s.

If this continues after looking over that, reach out to the manufacturer of this external drive. They'd be the best equipped to look into the compatibility of this device further.

Cheers!

Feb 16, 2024 2:05 AM in response to yoosuf86

I connected a Samsung T7 via USB-C (provided cable) apple formated to iPhone 15 Pro. Recorded like a 3-5 min video as a test, and got lot of spinning at the end around the record button and then the message below. I checked the speed of my drive which is USB-C 3.0 Gen1 - it read and writes around 650MB which is more than sufficient. Weird is that it will record via Apple Camera app and when I connected to the computer it showed up, it didn't like playing it in preview or through the USB-C port on front of my Mac Studio *Caveat* USB-C on Max version is only USB-C 3.0 NOT! I Repeat Not Gen1 or Gen2 just regular old 3.0! whole other conversation about that malarky :( - so side bar for Apple... you need a drive fast enough to record video at a required 250MB and the drive must have a cable capable of 10Gbps - check all that, but I can't plug it into the front of my M1 Max Mac Studio what!!!!? So I have to connect it to the back of the machine via a Thunderbolt port to make it play...

Anyhow after a lot of frustration and swearing I tried the drive with Blackmagic app on iPhone and it works a treat. I need to test a long record, but I didn't get any error messages with Blackmagic app, or Dropped frames.

Apple needs to seriously sort out its communication issues with 3rd party drives. And be aware that most if not all of Apple USB ports are 3.0, with the exception of it being a Thunderbolt port. If it doesn't have underlying tech of Thunderbolt in it... its a 3.0... apparently they are set to announce the magic of USB Gen1 this year, as if they invented it.

Nov 5, 2023 1:45 AM in response to yoosuf86

Hi yoosuf86,

I have purchase a lot of cable, waiting the delivery.

I also made an appointment at the Genius bar.

I have tested one cable 240w 8k thunderbolt 4 USB 4 : when I launch the recording, stop it, the iPhone does not responding and it freeze and the iPhone reboot.

also, in the application « files », the SSD take a long time to appear (about one minute).

the .mov created on the SSD is impossible to open one the iPhone and on a PC/Mac.

the SSD has been formatted in EXT4.

Mobile : iPhone 15 pro max

SSD : SanDisk extreme pro 4to gen2

keep you advise in the week ☺️

have a nice Sunday.

Oct 20, 2023 1:40 PM in response to frlane

As an update, it seems things requiring power from the device that is plugged in is the issue. My wireless mic setup, which plugged in through lightening worked the other day, but does not anymore either. I plugged it into a lightening based phone and it still works fine, but using a USB-C adapter, the little blue LED doesn't even come on, but an HDMI out adapter seems to work fine.

Oct 20, 2023 8:22 PM in response to frlane

I believe it is about the cable. I tried the thunderbolt 3 and it worked fine. But at times it doesn’t show. After 17.0.3 update the cable worked completely fine. So I had to purchase a thunderbolt 4 cable with 40gbps transfer. Now I have no issues connecting the 2tb ssd. I hope they don’t screw it up after a new update.

Nov 20, 2023 6:59 PM in response to CoolTech1

I’m using a seagate firecuda 2TB external ssd. Which is a gaming ssd originally purchased for my ps5. Formatted as instructed by apple. Initially the phone did not recognise the drive with all possible usb-C cable. Then tried with the thunderbolt cable which came with my benq monitor. It worked. So went ahead and purchased this cable 👇🏻

USB 4 for Thunderbolt 4 Cable... https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0C1VJFFLL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

now it works any time I plugin no blocks. Hope they don’t screwup after any update.

Dec 19, 2023 9:48 PM in response to Zhaobello

I thought so too, but mine does still throw an error even after entering the password in the Files app. Crucial X10 1TB. It's partitioned into two drives, both on AFPS Encrypted. Tried multiple cables, none work. Files opens the drive though. I think there might be the same verification process that has to be done on the Camera app as well. Maybe those two apps (despite being native) don't talk to each other.

iphone 15 pro max does not recognize my external SSD.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.