MacBook Air heating issue

After updating to MacOS Sonoma, my MacBook Air 2020(Intel) is getting over heat & also the battery backup reduced significantly, which was very good (5 or 6 hour) before updating to Sonoma. Is anyone facing the same issue? when apple will release next update and fix the issue?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 7:07 PM

Mithunsaha15 Said:

"MacBook Air heating issue: After updating to MacOS Sonoma, my MacBook Air 2020(Intel) is getting over heat & also the battery backup reduced significantly, which was very good (5 or 6 hour) before updating to Sonoma. Is anyone facing the same issue? when apple will release next update and fix the issue?"

-------

Troubleshooting Overheating Mac:

Use the Activity Monitor:

See what it taking the most out of the CPU and RAM. Is it Google Chrome? Or is is something else? To Find Out, use Activity Monitor

1. Go to: Applications
  2. Select: Utilities folder
  3. Open: Activity Monitor
  4. Click: CPU column
  5. Click: Memory column
16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2023 7:07 PM in response to Mithunsaha15

Mithunsaha15 Said:

"MacBook Air heating issue: After updating to MacOS Sonoma, my MacBook Air 2020(Intel) is getting over heat & also the battery backup reduced significantly, which was very good (5 or 6 hour) before updating to Sonoma. Is anyone facing the same issue? when apple will release next update and fix the issue?"

-------

Troubleshooting Overheating Mac:

Use the Activity Monitor:

See what it taking the most out of the CPU and RAM. Is it Google Chrome? Or is is something else? To Find Out, use Activity Monitor

1. Go to: Applications
  2. Select: Utilities folder
  3. Open: Activity Monitor
  4. Click: CPU column
  5. Click: Memory column

Apr 10, 2024 10:59 PM in response to Rossnic

closing all tabs to me does not really make sense . I have also the same issue of overheating and the kernel to jack up to 280 and everything stop . previously I used to have many screens open with numerous page on it , whack meeting on zoom and could still work on other page but now it became impossible after a very short time I start zoom or watch a meeting recording everything go awire WHYYYYYYYYY!

I have reset so many times SMC and NVRAM but still happening. am with sonoma 14.4.1 JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ????

APPLE TEAM PLEASE

Mar 8, 2024 7:33 PM in response to Mithunsaha15

I've never had a heating issue with my MacBook Air until I decided to use BlueTooth. I hadn't used BlueTooth on it before because my headphones were wired, not wireless. Then I got a pair of wireless BlueTooth headphones and turned on BlueTooth on the MacBook Air. It only took a few minutes until the computer was HOT! I was hoping that maybe the issue would be temporary. But so far, it consistently overheats if I use BlueTooth. I decided to go back to using my old wired headphones so I could turn off MacBook's BlueTooth and avoid overheating.

Mar 31, 2024 5:52 PM in response to manfred201

manfred201 Said:

"I'm working in the Amazonas region of Brasil. My MacBook Air 2020 is continuously stopping processes cause overheating. I remember one of the adventages of this model was "it needs less refrigeration cause it is more efficient" Overheating never occurred in older MacBook Air I had previously. Sometimes newer doen´t mean better. Too bad"

-------

Overview all of these replies.

Oct 5, 2023 4:38 AM in response to Mithunsaha15

Hi Mithunsaha15,

I found a helpful article with steps to alleviate overheating issues on a Mac after the macOS Sonoma update. Here are some of the suggestions:

1. Close Unused Applications: Use Activity Monitor to check CPU usage and close applications and processes not in use.
  2. Disable Unwanted Startup Programs: Remove unnecessary startup items to help your Mac boot quickly.
  3. Close Unused Browser Tabs: Too many open tabs can cause your Mac to overheat.
  4. Reset SMC (System Management Control): Resetting SMC may solve power-related problems.
  5. Keep Your Mac Updated: Ensure your macOS is up to date to fix potential overheating issues​ source​.

These steps should help reduce overheating and improve battery life.

MacBook Air heating issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.