My voice suddenly turns robotic on phone calls on my iPhone 13 Max Pro and getting worse

For some time now when I am on a phone call on my iPhone 13 Max Pro my voice suddenly turns "robotic" sounding. Whoever I am talking to says "you sound like an alien". Either this, or their voice turns robotic. It is now happening EVERY DAY on just about EVERY CALL. I see this same issue with many on this Community site. Is there a work around? I've done EVERYTHING I've read that Apple has said to do to no avail. Please find a fix or I fear my iPhone days are over. My husband has an Android phone with no issues. I would like to keep with my Apple products as I like everything else except for this issue. PLEASE ADVISE!

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 3:12 PM

Thank you kindly for replying promptly, and for ruling out the "Personal Voice" possibility as the cause of the annoyance issue for your iPhone.

Apple support have articles online that may be helpful:

As your voice is sounding distorted:

What to do: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

As the voices of others are sounding distorted:

What to do: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 6, 2023 3:12 PM in response to ofthevalley

Thank you kindly for replying promptly, and for ruling out the "Personal Voice" possibility as the cause of the annoyance issue for your iPhone.

Apple support have articles online that may be helpful:

As your voice is sounding distorted:

What to do: If the microphones on your iPhone aren't working - Apple Support

As the voices of others are sounding distorted:

What to do: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Oct 5, 2023 11:14 PM in response to ofthevalley

Re: "My voice suddenly turns robotic on phone calls on my iPhone 13 Max Pro and getting worse"

Sounds like you, (and maybe others?) may have created a "personal voice" to use in phone & FaceTime calls etc.:

Seems this iOS 17 opportunity was provided for assisting those with a voice disability, but some folks use it for fun.

How to: Create a Personal Voice on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac - Apple Support

and

Record your Personal Voice on iPhone - Apple Support

You can: Delete a Personal Voice : After you’ve deleted a Personal Voice, you won’t be able to recover it.

On your iPhone or iPad

1. Open the Settings app. Tap Accessibility, then tap Personal Voice.
  2. Tap the Personal Voice you want to delete.
  3. Authenticate with Face ID or Touch ID, or enter your passcode.
  4. Tap Delete Voice, then tap Delete Voice And Recordings to confirm.

Alternatively:

You can control app access to Personal Voice in Settings (or System Settings) > Accessibility > Personal Voice.

Oct 6, 2023 3:18 PM in response to brbo

Thanks again - I'm aware of these fixes and none apply to my situation. Perhaps I will clarify: I am on a phone call and all sounds great, suddenly the person on the other end says I sound like a robot. I wind up hanging up and calling them back. Often after a few minutes it happens again. Conversely, there are times when I am having a conversation and the other person sounds like a robot. I go through the same scenario. From what I have read via my researching online, this is an issue Apple has YET to remedy. I am not alone, there are many who have this issue. If there is no change I will have no choice but to change platforms. My phone is my only way of outside communication as I gave up my landline years ago. Thanks again.

My voice suddenly turns robotic on phone calls on my iPhone 13 Max Pro and getting worse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.