Unable to complete Touch ID enrollment

I have been getting the error "Failed.

Unable to complete Touch ID enrollment."(See the screenshot attached for more context) on the 13 inches M2 MacBook Pro 2022 since the April/May this year.

I have tried all the suggestions I came across in here on Apple Discussions and elsewhere on the internet all to no avail.

At first the Touch ID stopped working, then I decided to delete all the finger-print enrolled/registered inorder to re-add it. Then I started getting that error.

I have updated my OS to the latest version a couple of times but it did not help. I have also tried resetting the SMC, it did not help either

Please help.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with Touch ID on your MacBook Pro. Based on the information you've provided, it seems like you've already tried some troubleshooting steps without success. Here are a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. **Check for macOS Updates:** Ensure that your MacBook Pro is running the latest macOS version. Sometimes, Apple releases updates that address such issues.

2. **Create a New User Account:** Try creating a new user account on your MacBook Pro and see if Touch ID enrollment works there. This can help determine if the issue is specific to your user profile.

3. **Contact Apple Support:** If the problem persists, it's a good idea to reach out to Apple Support directly. They can provide more specialized assistance and may even suggest hardware diagnostics if necessary.

4. **Check for Hardware Issues:** Since you've already reset the SMC, it's possible that there could be a hardware problem with the Touch ID sensor itself. Apple Support can assist in diagnosing and resolving such issues.

Remember to back up your data before attempting any major troubleshooting steps. Touch ID issues can sometimes be tricky to diagnose, so it's best to get professional assistance if the problem persists.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 3:05 PM in response to dobliyu_bee

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with Touch ID on your MacBook Pro. Based on the information you've provided, it seems like you've already tried some troubleshooting steps without success. Here are a few additional suggestions you can try:

1. **Check for macOS Updates:** Ensure that your MacBook Pro is running the latest macOS version. Sometimes, Apple releases updates that address such issues.

2. **Create a New User Account:** Try creating a new user account on your MacBook Pro and see if Touch ID enrollment works there. This can help determine if the issue is specific to your user profile.

3. **Contact Apple Support:** If the problem persists, it's a good idea to reach out to Apple Support directly. They can provide more specialized assistance and may even suggest hardware diagnostics if necessary.

4. **Check for Hardware Issues:** Since you've already reset the SMC, it's possible that there could be a hardware problem with the Touch ID sensor itself. Apple Support can assist in diagnosing and resolving such issues.

Remember to back up your data before attempting any major troubleshooting steps. Touch ID issues can sometimes be tricky to diagnose, so it's best to get professional assistance if the problem persists.

Unable to complete Touch ID enrollment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.