I have a 2020 Macbook Air running dual monitors. Yesterday i bought a new Macbook Air M2 15in. in Seattle. It will only run 1 external monitor. Is there a solution or do I need to return it to the store.

Can i get the new macbook air to run dual external monitors?

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 10:41 AM

No. Refer to MacBook Air 13- and 15-inch with M2 - Tech Specs - Apple, under Display Support:

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at 1 billion colors and:

One external display with up to 6K resolution at 60Hz

3 replies

Oct 6, 2023 11:41 AM in response to Mac-Willy

As clearly stated in the specifications, the 15" M2 MacBook Air only supports one external monitor.

There are workarounds that involve DisplayLink (or similar) adapters, but they can't and don't give you additional hardware-supported video outputs. There may be drawbacks such as lag, inability to play DRMed video content, and the possibility that a macOS update could cause your additional displays to stop working.

Examples of such workarounds:

Other World Computing – OWC USB-C Dual HDMI 4K Display Adapter with DisplayLink

SonnetTech – DisplayLink Dual HDMI Adapter for M1/M2 Macs

SonnetTech – DisplayLink Dual DisplayPort Adapter for M1/M2 Macs

Note that SonnetTech also has a "Thunderbolt Dual HDMI Adapter" and a "Thunderbolt Dual DisplayPort Adapter". Those are for Macs that have proper support for two external monitors – and in the Tech Specs for those adapters, you'll see the note that "M1 and M2 Macs are not compatible."

I have a 2020 Macbook Air running dual monitors. Yesterday i bought a new Macbook Air M2 15in. in Seattle. It will only run 1 external monitor. Is there a solution or do I need to return it to the store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.