Odd location in photos

I recently took about 100 photos with my iPhone 12, iOS 16+. (ie October, 2023). I have them automatically stored in my iCloud account. Oddly, all the locations are not just the local, specific ones, but appear to be the Tourism Board ones. eg "Ascott, Experience Perth, Australia".

The pin on the map is in the correct location, right down to the nearest 10m, but the text is modified to "Ascott, Experience Perth, Australia". Why?

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 11:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 1:30 AM

Sometimes a strange name is the closes entry to be found in Apple's database of locations.

For example, for a few weeks my photos of the main building of the University of Hamburg has been showing as "Café del Arte" in Photos. The small café in the side wings of the main building had already reported their location to Apple, but the university had not reported their location.

You could use the link in the Maps to add a location, so the proper name of the place will be added to Apple's location database.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2023 1:30 AM in response to richardh9935

Sometimes a strange name is the closes entry to be found in Apple's database of locations.

For example, for a few weeks my photos of the main building of the University of Hamburg has been showing as "Café del Arte" in Photos. The small café in the side wings of the main building had already reported their location to Apple, but the university had not reported their location.

You could use the link in the Maps to add a location, so the proper name of the place will be added to Apple's location database.

Odd location in photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.