Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

DaVinci Resolve to FCPX using XML: I keep getting "Invalid edit with no respective media" error

I exported the DR timeline to an .fcpxmld file to use in FCPX, but every time I try to import this file in FCPX, I keep getting this error. If I open the project in FCPX, it would be empty. Anyone know to fix this?

I'm including the .fcpxmld file here in case anyone wants to see if they can at least load it.

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 8:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 2:56 PM

So I figured it out.

The culprit is the timecode in the video files from my Sony A7 III, and based on what I read online, it seems that it's an issue on the other Sony Alpha cameras as well. Basically, the video file's TC doesn't start at 00:00:00:00 and that's causing all the confusing among the 3 NLEs.

Naturally, the solution is make the video files' TC start at 00:00:00:00, and the only way I know to do this is to use the "Uncompressed 8-bit 422" setting in Apple Compressor and set the starting timecode to 00:00:00:00 in the "Timing" section.

Enable pass-through for both video and audio so you are not re-encoding the videos. The output files are the exact same size as their original counterpart, but now their timecodes all start at the zero point.

I didn't run into any issues with XML since I did this, so I hope this helps others!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2023 2:56 PM in response to jameszhan9592

So I figured it out.

The culprit is the timecode in the video files from my Sony A7 III, and based on what I read online, it seems that it's an issue on the other Sony Alpha cameras as well. Basically, the video file's TC doesn't start at 00:00:00:00 and that's causing all the confusing among the 3 NLEs.

Naturally, the solution is make the video files' TC start at 00:00:00:00, and the only way I know to do this is to use the "Uncompressed 8-bit 422" setting in Apple Compressor and set the starting timecode to 00:00:00:00 in the "Timing" section.

Enable pass-through for both video and audio so you are not re-encoding the videos. The output files are the exact same size as their original counterpart, but now their timecodes all start at the zero point.

I didn't run into any issues with XML since I did this, so I hope this helps others!

Mar 23, 2024 6:45 AM in response to jameszhan9592

James, I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread. Very frustrated over here. FCP user, so trying to get up to speed with Resolve while trying to understand what I need to do to not get that error has been maddening. And RODE zero help.

Shot Sony A1 422 8k video using the Wireless Pro and both transmitters. RX set to 29.97 (not 29.97 frame drop).

Attempt 1: Created new project in Resolve. In Edit mode, imported the two video clips I took plus the 4 audio files (1 file from each transmitter for each video). Clicked on the two video files, then did the "update the time code from audio track" step. Then I selected all files (2 video files plus the 4 audio files) and did the "Auto Align with Time Code" step. Then I dragged the each of the video files into the timeline, and sure enough, the audio tracks seem to be in alignment with their respective video, as they should be. Then I go to Project Setting, set the data to FULL, and try to export the Timeline. I then go to FCP, into a library that has the same exact files in it, and the import give your message as well as a message about the color space being different.

So I have two problems: The invalid edit issue, plus the color space issue. As for the color space issue, not sure why Resolve is creating a timeline with Rec709 when the files themselves are 422 10bit PQ and I have the export settings set to 2020 PQ. Perhaps I have done something wrong here.

As for the invalid edit issue, I've tried the compressor path you went (which creates massive files, by the way) - set the two timecode settings to 00000 and exported them into my FCP library, and then re did the whole Resolve project and no luck.

I also tried changing the timecode on the two files within Resolve itself (Clip Attributes - change the two time settings to 0000). Once I've done that, I'm not sure what the workflow should look like. Do I now bypass the first Resolve workflow step of "update timecode from audio track" ? What exactly should the steps be?

DaVinci Resolve to FCPX using XML: I keep getting "Invalid edit with no respective media" error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.