Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Recover files to Desktop after losing them in ICloud

I tried to add files to cloud but realized too late, if I turned cloud off, I would lose files on my Mac book desktop. I'm trying to recover those files. I went to ICloud's file recovery and it's showing 5gb max usage but I'm unable to see anything there. It states that I have no files to recover. Is there a different way to get around this and recover the files back to the desktop?

Thanks

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 12:58 PM

Check iCloud Drive on your Mac. You should see desktop and documents folders (there may be some name variant) but those “old” items simply move to the new folder. You’re not recovering anything, just moving. The files were not deleted.

5 replies

Oct 8, 2023 12:51 PM in response to muguy

Hi Muguy,

Thanks for your reply. I did exactly that and my iCloud reads that I have only a few files but not any files that I"ve added that are older than 30 days. Should I sync my mac back to iCloud? I was concerned when iCloud was full it would impact my desktop. (I'm not deeply tech savvy). If it doesn't matter if iCloud is connected I'll add it back.

Thanks

Recover files to Desktop after losing them in ICloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.