AirPods Pro linked to previous owner

I have legitimately purchased a pair of AirPods Pro Gen2 and the previous owner has unpaired them and removed them from his Find My. The problem is that although I can pair them to my devices and they show at my location and the previous owner can longer see them, they will not add to my Apple ID as it states they are still registered to the previous owner D*******@gmail.com . Why are they still doing this when the previous owner has followed the correct procedure to remove them?

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 12:37 PM

13 replies

Oct 9, 2023 3:09 PM in response to wjkerfoot

Maybe this would work …

Ask the original owner to perform the steps shown in “Remove Activation Lock on the web if a device is offline” here.

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

If his response is that the AirPods do not appear at all, then your assertion the AirPods were correctly removed from his Apple ID seems correct, and perhaps Apple Support can assist you further. If the AirPods do appear, there’s hope …

Oct 9, 2023 1:51 PM in response to wjkerfoot

From the article I supplied above:

”Your AirPods don't have to be connected via Bluetooth to your device — but the process might happen more quickly if your AirPods are Bluetooth-connected and within Bluetooth range of your device.”

So perhaps the previous owner removed the AirPods while they were not Bluetooth-connected.

Oct 10, 2023 12:33 AM in response to sberman

Thanks again, he has already tried this and the Airpods do not appear. Apple support have been contacted and he has been told there is nothing they can do, which is most disappointing.

We live about 1 hour apart and in a few weeks time after my holiday, we are meeting up and he will try and add the Airpods to his Apple ID again and with them connected via Bluetooth unpair and remove them again. Hopefully when that happens and I reset them it will work.

I will be sure to report back after our meeting.

AirPods Pro linked to previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.