Photos = White Silhouettes

I'm having difficulty with pics / videos taken at concerts . Two are white silhouettes and one is blurry & discolored . They were taken on an

iPhone 7 between 2018 and 2023 . They look just as bad on my iPad (9th generation) v 16.

Is there a way to fix them up ? How do I take them properly in the future ?

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 10:00 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Oct 15, 2023 5:50 AM in response to Recycleur

Reply to Recycleur

So here are my findings :

1. Try the flashlight in Control Center on your iPhone or Control Center on your iPad.
    2. On an iPhone X or later or an iPad, swipe down from the upper-right corner of the screen. On an iPhone 8 or earlier, swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen.
    3. Tap the Flashlight button .

If the flash works only sometimes, open the Camera app and tap the flash button  to choose a different setting. 

configuration profile, including a Mobile Device Management (MDM) profile, can disable the camera.

🤦‍♀️ It was off , I set it to auto & saw the yellow square . I feel like an idiot , the first concert was in 2018 , the third one was last month , so it took me five years to observe that the issue was right in front of me & ask for help ! I'll see what happens after the next concert .

💡

Oct 9, 2023 10:45 AM in response to SteelCityAnne

If the pictures are stored in Photos, open them one per one and click or tap on Modify in the top-right corner. Maybe for your first experiments you'd want to work on a copy of the original picture.

You can also drag a picture to the desktop and work on it in Preview (Tools / Color adjustment).

Play with the various parameters, like exposure, light, contrast, shadows, etc. But you can only do so much, any modification cannot create data that doesn't exist, meaning that if an area is so overexposed that all pixels have the same color (white) no magic will ever be able to give them different levels of light afterwards.

Oct 9, 2023 8:08 AM in response to SteelCityAnne

Cameras in general take an average of the available light in the whole frame to adjust aperture and speed (duration of the image capture). Since your images are mostly dark the average is way below the very bright spots which turn out overexposed.

Just before taking the picture tap on the bright spot and the camera will understand that you want that location to be the reference for light measurement. A yellow square will appear on the screen to confirm. You can further tweak the result by sliding your finger up and down on the right of that square.

Oct 15, 2023 7:28 AM in response to SteelCityAnne

At the distance you were from the singer the flash has absolutely no impact. Actually if a person had been standing almost in front of you their back would have been illuminated, but that's about it. It might have slightly reduced the light recorded from the stage depending on the amount of additional light the flash brought to the whole picture but that's too random to rely on it.

Personally I always keep the flash in OFF mode and turn it ON only for specific situations, like for avoiding a dark face when taking a close portrait with a much brighter background (a window or a concert stage or even a very bright sky), or taking a picture in a (completely) very dark place. In a concert I would certainly not put it in AUTO or ON mode unless I want to take a picture of my friends nearby.

What's great about digital photography is that's it's free to practice or to take a hundred shots with different settings. Experiment before your next concert.

Oct 15, 2023 9:32 AM in response to Recycleur

Recycleur

Oh okay , I'll will turn it back off until it's needed . Ill tap the yellow bright spot before taking the picture as you advised in the earlier post . Sounds like you're much more camera savvy than me so I'm going to follow your directions .

By the way , I'm going to replace my ancient iPhone with a 14 , that may help too .

📸

Photos = White Silhouettes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.