You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade and complete Apple Watch set up Apple Watch

My watch syncs with my phone once powered up. But fails to complete the software update then unpairs???

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 11:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 11:51 PM

Which iPhone and iOS do you use? To update the Apple Watch to watchOS 10, your iPhone needs to have iOS 17 installed.

Also have a look at steps in this article:

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

5 replies

Oct 10, 2023 12:43 AM in response to Dmckinley87

To upgrade and complete the setup of your Apple Watch, follow these steps:

1. **Check Compatibility:** Make sure your iPhone is compatible with the Apple Watch model you have or plan to upgrade to. You can check the compatibility on Apple's official website.

2. **Back Up Your iPhone:** Before making any changes or upgrades, it's a good practice to back up your iPhone to iCloud or your computer using iTunes or Finder.

3. **Update iPhone and Watch:** Ensure that your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS and your Apple Watch is running the latest version of watchOS. You can update your iPhone by going to Settings > General > Software Update and your Apple Watch by going to the Watch app on your iPhone and navigating to My Watch > General > Software Update.

4. **Unpair Your Current Apple Watch (if upgrading):** If you're upgrading to a new Apple Watch, you'll need to unpair your old one. Open the Watch app on your iPhone, go to My Watch, select your watch, and tap the "i" icon next to it. Then, choose "Unpair Apple Watch."

5. **Pair Your New Apple Watch:** Turn on your new Apple Watch and bring it close to your iPhone. A pairing animation should appear on your iPhone. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair your new Watch with your iPhone.

6. **Complete Setup:** Follow the prompts on your iPhone and Apple Watch to complete the setup process. You'll be asked to choose your language, set up cellular (if applicable), and log in with your Apple ID.

7. **Restore from Backup (optional):** During setup, you can choose to restore your new Apple Watch from a backup of your old Watch if you've unpaired it in step 4. This will transfer your settings, apps, and data to the new Watch.

8. **Customize Your Watch Face and Settings:** Once the initial setup is complete, you can customize your watch face, install apps, and adjust settings to your preferences using the Watch app on your iPhone.

That's it! Your Apple Watch should now be upgraded and set up. If you encounter any issues during the process, don't hesitate to contact Apple Support for assistance.

Oct 10, 2023 12:45 AM in response to Dmckinley87

Try this too

If your Apple Watch syncs with your iPhone but fails to complete a software update and then unpairs, there may be several reasons for this issue. Here are some steps you can try to resolve it:

1. **Check Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Connections:** Ensure that both your iPhone and Apple Watch have a stable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connection. A poor or intermittent connection can cause issues during the update process.

2. **Reboot Both Devices:** Try restarting both your iPhone and Apple Watch. Sometimes, a simple reboot can resolve temporary software glitches.

3. **Ensure Sufficient Battery:** Make sure that both your iPhone and Apple Watch have enough battery life to complete the update. It's recommended to have at least 50% battery on both devices or have them connected to chargers during the update.

4. **Update Manually:** If the automatic update fails, you can try updating your Apple Watch manually. Go to the Watch app on your iPhone, navigate to My Watch > General > Software Update, and initiate the update from there.

5. **Check for Storage Space:** Ensure that your iPhone has sufficient storage space available for the update. Sometimes, lack of space can cause update failures.

6. **Reset Network Settings:** On your iPhone, you can try resetting network settings. This can sometimes resolve connectivity issues. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

7. **Factory Reset and Restore:** If none of the above steps work, you may need to perform a factory reset on your Apple Watch and then set it up again. Keep in mind that this will erase all data on the watch. To do this, go to the Watch app on your iPhone, navigate to My Watch > General > Reset > Erase Apple Watch Content and Settings.

8. **Contact Apple Support:** If you've tried all the above steps and are still experiencing issues, it's a good idea to contact Apple Support or visit an Apple Store. They can provide more specific guidance and assistance in diagnosing and resolving the problem.

Updating and troubleshooting issues with your Apple Watch can sometimes be complex, so don't hesitate to seek help from Apple's support channels if needed.

How to upgrade and complete Apple Watch set up Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.