Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

SSD not mountable on Sonoma 14.0

Before updating to Sonoma 14.0, my Phillips SSD was reading and mounting perfectly on my MacBook Air. After I updated to Sonoma 14.0 it does not mount at all. It does not show up on finder or desktop. When I go to disk utility it is there, however when I try to manually mount it does not work and gives me an error ( I will attach below). Furthermore, I know the format is ExFAT and not APFS. that should still read and mount normally because I plugged it into my friends Mac Ventura 13.2.1 and it works perfectly. Did anyone experience similar issues ever since updating.

Additionally, my iPhone and iPad are completely up to date and they both can read my SSD perfectly

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 9:27 AM

This is a further example that Sonoma isn't working with exFAT external drives. Big problem that needs to be fixed.

My exFAT external hard drives stopped mounting on Mac Studio Sonoma APFS system. Had to use EaseUS software to get into the unmounted drive and copy files over to another drive I had formatted APFS.

Has Apple said anything about this problem. The recent update said it solved a bug with encrypted drives not mounting... but my drives aren't encrypted. Recent update didn't solve the exFAT problem.

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2023 9:27 AM in response to omxribrahim

This is a further example that Sonoma isn't working with exFAT external drives. Big problem that needs to be fixed.

My exFAT external hard drives stopped mounting on Mac Studio Sonoma APFS system. Had to use EaseUS software to get into the unmounted drive and copy files over to another drive I had formatted APFS.

Has Apple said anything about this problem. The recent update said it solved a bug with encrypted drives not mounting... but my drives aren't encrypted. Recent update didn't solve the exFAT problem.

Mar 2, 2024 2:58 AM in response to omxribrahim

Hi Everyone,

I recently encountered a problem with my hard drive: when connected to my MacBook Pro, it wasn't recognized, though it was visible on devices running older software. This was very frustrating, but I found a fix that worked for me and might help you too.

I switched my USB-C cable to the Cable Matters [Intel Certified] 40Gbps Thunderbolt 4 Cable, 1m in length, which supports 8K video and 240W charging. This cable is also backwards compatible with USB4, Thunderbolt 3, and USB-C. After using this cable to connect my SSD, everything started running smoothly, and I could access all content on the SSD.

Good luck! Marcin, habitetresinandconcrete.com

Oct 10, 2023 8:24 AM in response to ku4hx

Very strange things happening... SSD readible and mountable on my friends MacBook Air ( running Ventura) and I just tried it on my friends MacBook Pro i7 (running Sonoma) and it worked fine on both devices. I began to feel there is something wrong with my USB port so I tested a different USB and it worked fine. my iPhone works fine as well.. so I dont really know whats going on. very very very strange

Jan 17, 2024 12:00 PM in response to omxribrahim

Hello everyone,

the issue has been resolved. After consulting with Apple's engineering team, they suggested using an alternative cable, specifically a USB 3.0 cable. Initially, I was skeptical as my existing Apple USB-C to USB-C cable appeared to be working pre update. However, to my surprise, when I switched to a different, higher quality SSD wire, the problem was resolved.

Jan 17, 2024 12:02 PM in response to Duculetu

the issue has been resolved. After consulting with Apple's engineering team, they suggested using an alternative cable, specifically a USB 3.0 cable. Initially, I was skeptical as my existing Apple USB-C to USB-C cable appeared to be working pre update. However, to my surprise, when I switched to a different, higher quality SSD wire, the problem was resolved.

SSD not mountable on Sonoma 14.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.