iPhone 15 Pro Max camera lens glare at night

Hi there,

Years since Iphone 5s, now I turn back to Apple phone by Iphone 15 pro max.

But I just met a very weird situation in shoting video at night

As you see in my screenshot of video, the flare/glare show up alot. Is it normal with Iphone camera or my phone just simply has problem?

When there is full light or in house, I did not met that problem.

So, is there any solution for that?

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 9:21 AM

To better illustrate. Here are two photos of the same scene (I took both photos). The top photo shows lens flare reflected off the lights on my deck:

Now, this photo was taken without me moving from the same location, but I saw the flares captured in the first photo before I took it, but wanted to use it to show how angling the iPhone can completely eliminate the flares, as this photo shows:

Voila, lens flares gone, without any post editing. Just simply angling the camera relative to the scene.

So you, the photographer are now aware of Lens Flare and ways to minimize or completely eliminate them, but you have to be careful when you take a photo.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2023 9:21 AM in response to lobsterghost1

To better illustrate. Here are two photos of the same scene (I took both photos). The top photo shows lens flare reflected off the lights on my deck:

Now, this photo was taken without me moving from the same location, but I saw the flares captured in the first photo before I took it, but wanted to use it to show how angling the iPhone can completely eliminate the flares, as this photo shows:

Voila, lens flares gone, without any post editing. Just simply angling the camera relative to the scene.

So you, the photographer are now aware of Lens Flare and ways to minimize or completely eliminate them, but you have to be careful when you take a photo.

Jan 11, 2024 7:16 PM in response to albertas33

albertas33 wrote:

You are not exactly correct telling people that no camera is immune to lens flare. For example, i don't wanna mention the brand, but one phone brand has Zeiss T* coating and it's immune to flares, it reduces like 80%.

Nope. Less susceptible, but definitely NOT immune and there are plenty of comments about that unnamed phone and lens flare. There is simply no such thing as a lens which is immune to normal light reflections. I own a very expensive Nikon DSLR, with $Thousands of dollars in lenses and they are not immune to lens flare. $45,000 Medium Format cameras are NOT immune to lens flare. It's the physics of light reflecting off the sensor.

Oct 10, 2023 9:00 AM in response to bui17

This is very common for any camera taking pictures at night, where bright lights can reflect off the camera sensor. Even high end DSLR cameras get lens flare, like my Nikon DSLR. And with the ability to take photos in low light, which older iPhones weren't capable of doing well, lens flare is more noticeable.

But, you can control it. Before you take a picture at night with bright lights, be mindful of these artifacts as you can see them clearly on your iPhone screen before you take the photo. And if you angle your iPhone relative to the flares, you can eliminate them. No camera is immune to lens flare. But you can minimize and in many cases eliminate it by being careful before you take the photo and simply moving the camera a bit can help greatly.

iPhone 15 Pro Max camera lens glare at night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.