Sleep focus mode doesn’t turn off with Sleep/wake alarm iOS 17

Since upgrading to iOS 17 (now on 17.03) when the scheduled sleep / wake alarm goes off the focus modes doesn’t change. Sleep focus schedule in health app is set to the same time but this feature is broken. iPhone 15 Pro Max. I’ve seen 100s of similar issues raised in iOS 16 as well but I only had it when I got my new iPhone.

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2024 4:53 AM

This issue just started with my 14pro max when I updated to 17.2.1 and paired my new watch 9. Now, everyday when my alarm goes off on my watch, I turn it off on my watch but the alarm screen stays on on the phone and even once it’s turned off, the phone and watch are still in sleep mode. I’ve check all the settings and everything shows correct but I have to manually get out of sleep mode on each device everyday.

74 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2024 4:53 AM in response to Scubadam1

This issue just started with my 14pro max when I updated to 17.2.1 and paired my new watch 9. Now, everyday when my alarm goes off on my watch, I turn it off on my watch but the alarm screen stays on on the phone and even once it’s turned off, the phone and watch are still in sleep mode. I’ve check all the settings and everything shows correct but I have to manually get out of sleep mode on each device everyday.

Oct 13, 2023 3:00 AM in response to toddsuza

Yes, I noticed this morning that when the alarm was turned off my screen went to general focus setting but when it locked and I looked at the screen again, it had turned back to sleep focus. It seems that the sleep schedule alarm does turn sleep focus off, but only until you lock the phone and then it turns sleep focus back on.

Nov 14, 2023 10:50 PM in response to Scubadam1

Hi Scubadam1 - I can’t offer a solution but commenting to bump this thread.

I have exact same issue, only since upgrading to iOS 17. The schedule & focus worked just fine on my iPhone 13 Pro Max and watch 7 before upgrading. Swapping devices hasn’t resolved the issue either as I now have this with a 15 Pro Max and Watch 9. Hoping someone comes along with a proper fix soon or it’s recognised as a bug by Apple.

Oct 13, 2023 12:54 AM in response to Scubadam1

Scubadam1 I have the exact same problem & came to the forum page to post to find you got here before me. Using iPhone 13. Since updating to ios17 (using latest 17.0.3) my sleep focus has stopped automatically turning off as per its schedule. It turns on automatically fine. I have to manually turn it off on my iPhone and Apple Watch (series 5 on latest 10.0.1). I have never had this problem before. Gone through settings on Focus and Sleep Schedule under Health but can’t find a source to the problem. I will post again if I find a Settings fix but at the moment appears an ios17 bug to me.

Nov 21, 2023 11:48 PM in response to Scubadam1

I have same problem, tried out various methods, already got on my nerves to the point where I'm just considering to stop using it. It's an absurd from Apple, to not even react to this problem, and leave it not working.. same as with Siri, absolute garbage. YoY it's so dumb that you can't ask it anything, it's like 10years behind all other smart assistance in the market, and Apple just pretends it's new and great. Don't know a single person using it, because it can't do what they need as a bear minimum.

Same attitude can be seen with such simple feature like Focus, lot of people complaining about it, no fix..

p.s. a bit of frustration let go.

Dec 12, 2023 1:23 AM in response to CateDS

Is it unreliable? I find it so consistent that I don’t think it’s a bug anymore. I think Apple just nurfed or changed the sleep schedule feature to only turn on and not off. The wording in the app is turn on but doesn’t mention turning off focus mode. I think it’s a bad change personally but I’d be keen to hear if for some people sleep schedule turns off sleep focus when the alarm goes off.

Jan 2, 2024 12:45 AM in response to Scubadam1

I switched from a working Focus Sleep iPhone XS (iOS 17.2.1) to a non working Focus Sleep iPhone 15 Pro (iOS 17.2.1). Also my Apple Watch Series 6 is not cooperating any longer. It clearly is a bug, since a lot of people have this issue here. When setting my alarm, and try to switch off in the morning, the AW6 and the iPhone 15 Pro remain in sleep focus, until I force it to quit (digital crown, and switch off sleep focus on iPhone).

I've tried in Health, in Settings, in whatever setting you would like, it still keeps on doing this. On the iPhone, after 45min of an hour, the first glance after I look at it, it has the alarm page, showing "Stop" on the screen. So, the Apple Watch does not give anything to the iPhone to stop the alarm. I have the latest updates on AW6 AND iPhone 15Pro. Don't know anything else to do..

Feb 2, 2024 5:34 AM in response to Scubadam1

I have had this problem for about a week. Sleep Focus never turns off in the morning. Updating the phone did not help. Even if I delete the Sleep Focus and create it again, it automatically shows the same schedules created previously and turns on (even at a time when it's not supposed to be on).

A couple of things that might be related to this:

• I just came back from a long trip to a completely different time zone (8-hour difference).
  • I just bought a new Apple Watch and still had both watches synchronized with my phone.

I had a phone call with Apple, and after deleting the Sleep Focus (which did not help), they suggested resetting all configurations on the phone, which I was not willing to do.

Since it seemed to be related to the time schedules, I tried to delete them. I have one for weekdays and a different one for weekends. However, I couldn't find how to delete any of them. So, I edited the weekdays one (which was actually the one that wasn't working) so that it would only be on ON SUNDAYS. This automatically made the weekend one change, and it now only turns on on Saturdays.

Then I created a new one for the weekdays. After that, I changed the weekend one to also include Sundays, which made the 'offending' schedule disappear.

Now it seems to be working well. Sorry for my non-native English; I hope this is understandable and can help somebody.

Nov 22, 2023 3:06 AM in response to Scubadam1

Regarding this issue, I have turned off all schedules in health and rebooted and left it off for a week. I also changed the action button on the 15 Pro Max to turn sleep focus on and off. Now I have created a new schedule and I'd say 80% of the time Sleep mode does turn off when the alarm is stoped at 08:00. I am now on 17.1.1

Siri yes I just use it for turning on a workout or asking how many Ibs are in a KG :o)

Dec 15, 2023 3:27 AM in response to jmarse1

I have the same issue with sleep focus turning on when scheduled but then never turning off anymore after updating to iOS 17. It isn’t a matter of setting up correctly in the Focus section in settings. I have a sleep and wake schedule but my phone only follows the sleep part and never switches back to wake mode unless I manually turn off sleep mode. Very annoying.

Sleep focus mode doesn’t turn off with Sleep/wake alarm iOS 17

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.