My iPhone got stolen. It has a passcode and was in airplane mode so it does not have Wifi. But today it appears on find my device?

My iPhone got stolen about 3 months ago on an airplane in the middle of the sky. It was on airplane mode, and after landed, I realized that my phone had been stolen so I logged in to my iCloud to turn on Lost mode and to track location. However back then it did not appear on Find My Device! But today, 3 months later, it just notified me that my lost iPhone has been located and put in lost mode! Does this mean that the thief has bypassed the passcode and put on Wi-Fi? Or did the thief restore the phone and it still had my ID Apple so it notified me?

I hope it is the second option because I would be doomed if the thief could bypass my passcode!

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 8:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 10:42 PM

Daniell26 Said:

"Thank you, I activated erasing it with Find My Device. It is now pending."

-------

You are most welcome. Excellent job troubleshooting!

Where to go from here: While it is pending, secure your device's deletion...

Secure your Info:

If device access and account access have become of high-concern here. So, (A)Verify your Devices, and then (B.) Modify your Credentials:

A. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

then...

B. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2023 10:42 PM in response to Daniell26

Daniell26 Said:

"Thank you, I activated erasing it with Find My Device. It is now pending."

-------

You are most welcome. Excellent job troubleshooting!

Where to go from here: While it is pending, secure your device's deletion...

Secure your Info:

If device access and account access have become of high-concern here. So, (A)Verify your Devices, and then (B.) Modify your Credentials:

A. Verify your Devices:

Verify that all devices are logged in to your account, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

then...

B. Modify your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone lily has your credentials. So, by all means, modifying them.

Oct 12, 2023 9:02 PM in response to Daniell26

Daniell26 Said:

"My iPhone got stolen. It has a passcode and was in airplane mode so it does not have Wifi. But today it appears on find my device?"

-------

Stollen Device with Find My Enabled:

Having been stollen, you can erase it with Find My. If that were to happen, you'd lose all info on it, if you come across it again. So, find out more here: Erase a Device in Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

My iPhone got stolen. It has a passcode and was in airplane mode so it does not have Wifi. But today it appears on find my device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.