Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iMac 27 screen goes weird diagonally and then is unresponsive.

I have a mid 2013 iMac 27. It sits for 6 months at a time unused as we travel across country. When I got back home, the system was working just fine then it just went weird and shows weird colors and seems to have lost sync? Now it won't even boot up. Might anyone have any idea as to what has gone wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

iMac 27″

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 3:23 PM

It looks like the GPU has failed. You can take it into the nearest Apple Genius Baar for a free diagnostic check but since that model is considered obsolete by Apple they won't be able to repair it.

An Apple Authorized Service Provider may be able to fix it but the cost of parts (if they can be found) and labor would be worth far more than the unit is worth.

I might be time to give it a good Irish wake and start saving for a new iMac.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2023 3:23 PM in response to EmersonBigguns

It looks like the GPU has failed. You can take it into the nearest Apple Genius Baar for a free diagnostic check but since that model is considered obsolete by Apple they won't be able to repair it.

An Apple Authorized Service Provider may be able to fix it but the cost of parts (if they can be found) and labor would be worth far more than the unit is worth.

I might be time to give it a good Irish wake and start saving for a new iMac.

iMac 27 screen goes weird diagonally and then is unresponsive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.