Music points to non-music files for nearly all songs.

This problem started years ago, while using iTunes and keeping my music on a NAS drive. At one point, the library's paths to many songs became paths to image files and other kinds of files. This persists with Music 1.2.5.7 on Monterey 12.7. (TV is working better with video files.)

I ran a small test of using Finder to change the name of one of the files that Music is pointing to. Music found a different, non-music file to point to in its place.

For years, I have been maintaining my music by hand and using QuickTime Player to listen to them. Music's library is now so out of touch about my collection, I would like to wipe its knowledge about it. But I don't want to accidentally erase all the files it thinks are songs.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 6:22 AM

You can delete the old library and legacy iTunes content if you wish, then perhaps rename your new library so it is at the default path. See Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for background. Depending on the way you migrate to a new Mac the library may not come over automatically. See Move your iTunes/Music library to a new computer - Apple Community for more on that topic.

tt2

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 6:22 AM in response to cold_comb_color

You can delete the old library and legacy iTunes content if you wish, then perhaps rename your new library so it is at the default path. See Managing your Mac media libraries - Apple Community for background. Depending on the way you migrate to a new Mac the library may not come over automatically. See Move your iTunes/Music library to a new computer - Apple Community for more on that topic.

tt2

Music points to non-music files for nearly all songs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.