Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iMessege not working internationally

I am trying to message my boyfriend from the Uk to India, but whenever I text to goes as SMS, but not as iMessage. Can someone help, please? I tried logging out and logging in, switching off and on, and nithing works.

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 8:49 AM

iMessage requires both the sender and receiver to have iMessage turned on and have an active data connection, either cellular or wifi.

If the recipient does not have a data connection and the sender has 'send as sms' enabled, it will attempt to send an SMS message.

Either your boyfriend does not have an active data connection, is out of the service area, or his phone is turned off, or he has turned iMessage off for some reason.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 15, 2023 8:49 AM in response to heeru2997

iMessage requires both the sender and receiver to have iMessage turned on and have an active data connection, either cellular or wifi.

If the recipient does not have a data connection and the sender has 'send as sms' enabled, it will attempt to send an SMS message.

Either your boyfriend does not have an active data connection, is out of the service area, or his phone is turned off, or he has turned iMessage off for some reason.

iMessege not working internationally

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.