Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Google Chrome has stopped working on my MacBook Pro.

Own a 2016 MacBook Pro and running iOS Monterey 12.7. One day last week, Google Chrome stopped working. It would open (when selected) in a flash and then quit automatically without me touching anything. I've had Chrome on my computer since day 1 of owning this comp and have never had this problem.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling with reboots in between from the Chrome page through Safari browser and have not been successful. It downloads fine, I launch the install and move it to the APP folder just fine. Then, it doesn't work.

Anyone have a Chrome Support #? :) Will Apple be able to assist?

HELP!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 10:17 PM

Do people really think users wouldn't have already gone through these types of basic troubleshooting steps before coming to a forum?

18 replies

Oct 16, 2023 4:54 PM in response to LeleN1

Hi.

Thanks for the insight and guidance but none of those items worked. I even tried holding down shift while opening.

I called Apple today and they told me to reinstall my iOS, so I did. Still did not work.

Chrome cannot be force quit, as it doesn't stay open long enough to do so.

There are no files I'm trying to open in Chrome.

I've checked updates and I am fully up-to-date.

No new peripheral devices have been added to my computer. I only have a monitor and I tried Chrome while it was disconnected.

I can't uninstall any app plug-ins because it doesn't stay open long enough to do so.

Oct 16, 2023 1:52 PM in response to rossimill16

Hi rossimill16,

Thanks for posting in Apple Support Communities! Since the app is quitting on its own, we suggest following the guidance here as it can resolve this issue: If an app freezes or quits unexpectedly on Mac. You can also clear out the cache for the app by holding down the Shift key as you click to open the app.

If you need further assistance with the Google Chrome app, visit Google Chrome Help.

Jan 13, 2024 1:12 PM in response to Realbeard1

Realbeard1 wrote:

Do people really think users wouldn't have already gone through these types of basic troubleshooting steps before coming to a forum?

Some Users have, and others may have not. Some Users have done a few of the steps, but for others, those steps other may not have occurred to them. Some get all their advice from Reddit, Others use ONLY StackOverflow and Apple Developer.

The audience here is VERY Broad, and as Responders, we have to tailor the advice supplied to the lowest common denominator. There will always be far more readers than responders, and these writings are available for a very long time, and users may find them by searching.

If you got more than you wanted to hear, please do not assault the person who gave you tangential or ‘too much' information. Instead, understand that they were TRYING to be helpful, even if their answer did not line up perfectly with your query.

Just ignore the overage and get on with solving your problems, and count your blessings that someone was willing to help, even if the answer was "too much" or “way off base”.

If your important parts of your question did not get answered, just ask a more pointed question and Readers will try again.

Feb 16, 2024 7:16 AM in response to rossimill16

I faced the same issue on my Macbook Air M1 2020. I thought it was the problem of the device. Later bought the newest Macbook Pro M3. Still facing the same issue. Chrome is stopping responding. Alas!

Now what I do,

I use both Chrome and Safari.

When you open any PDF, open it on Safari or on any PDF reader. If you open any pdf on the Chrome, it will crash.

Oct 16, 2023 4:58 PM in response to rossimill16

If a simple reboot of your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (5 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode often corrects weird software behavior by forcing the OS to do cache clearing and other housekeeping. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome while in Safe mode.

Often not required, but consider allowing the Mac to "soak" in Safe mode for an hour to allow maintenance routines and processes time to complete, then exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

Jan 20, 2024 8:49 PM in response to Arborius

Hey Arborius,

I'm using a MacBook 2016 model with MacOS Monterey 12.7.2

I'm having the same issue with Chrome.

Prior to it not even responding at all, it had these symptoms

• crashed multiple times
  • simple downloads like pictures failed

Things I tried

• uninstalling Chrome and re-downloading and installing. I got as far as opening Chrome on the .dmg package installer.

What worked

• was able to open Chrome from the installer

What didn't work

• moving Chrome to the Applications from the installer package. It resulted in this: "The operation can’t be completed because an unexpected error occurred (error code 100083)."

Is it possible that our hardware is too old?

I am a bit disappointed with this happening, but I switched to Mac in 2016 from Windows and this MacBook has outlasted any windows computer (which only lasted 2 years on average).

Does anyone think reaching out to Google Chrome would help?

Cheers,

DKstar88

Jan 27, 2024 7:51 AM in response to Realbeard1

<<. Either Apple or Google are purposefully trying to stop the browser from working on Macs. >>

There ARE cases where software makers do not want you to be using a particular combination of OS and Applications.

However, in those cases on a Mac, you get a message that the software you are trying to run can not be run on this computer. Occasionally it will explain what is deficient: MacOS, computer Hardware, etc.

CRASHING is Not normal behavior for ANY Mac App. It generally indicates unresolved hardware issues or Software conflicts. But more pointedly, It TYPICALLY indicates third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners. or a VPN that you installed yourself.

¿do you have anything like that installed?

Google Chrome has stopped working on my MacBook Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.