You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch is not unlocking my Mac after upgrading to Sonoma

Tried setting "unlock with Apple Watch" to off, restarting, then turning it back on again, but it didn't work. Any other ideas?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 15, 2023 4:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2023 4:38 AM

I had this problem with the latest Sonoma update 14.2.1

My solution was to go to the system settings/Lock screen, change the "require password after screen saver begins or display is turned off" setting to immediately. Then go to the "Log in Password" setting and toggle the apple watch setting.

Wait for the screen to time out (or change the screen saver setting to never and the Turn display off to 1 minute).

After that, the apple watch unlocked the lock screen.

I then went back and set the screen saver to never and display settings to 3 minutes (my defaults).

Now all good.

I hope that helps some people.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 20, 2023 4:38 AM in response to Geaton49

I had this problem with the latest Sonoma update 14.2.1

My solution was to go to the system settings/Lock screen, change the "require password after screen saver begins or display is turned off" setting to immediately. Then go to the "Log in Password" setting and toggle the apple watch setting.

Wait for the screen to time out (or change the screen saver setting to never and the Turn display off to 1 minute).

After that, the apple watch unlocked the lock screen.

I then went back and set the screen saver to never and display settings to 3 minutes (my defaults).

Now all good.

I hope that helps some people.

Apple Watch is not unlocking my Mac after upgrading to Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.