I cannot find The Superdrive on desktop, using iMac OS Sonoma 14.0

I can not find the Superdrive on my desktop. I am using OS Sonoma 14.0. Is there updated software for this or is it a trip to the dumpster with the Superdrive? Richard

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 9:04 AM

The Superdrive will NOT appear on your desktop until you mount a disk in it. Just like the built-in SuperDrives in older Macs.

Non-Apple USB-A to USB-C adapters have been problematic. Other users have said these three Apple-branded adapters work best:

The specifications in the Store link brbo provides seem to be out of date, as plenty of users are reporting getting SuperDrives functional with newer Macs not listed in that link.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2023 9:04 AM in response to cybekal

The Superdrive will NOT appear on your desktop until you mount a disk in it. Just like the built-in SuperDrives in older Macs.

Non-Apple USB-A to USB-C adapters have been problematic. Other users have said these three Apple-branded adapters work best:

The specifications in the Store link brbo provides seem to be out of date, as plenty of users are reporting getting SuperDrives functional with newer Macs not listed in that link.

Oct 16, 2023 5:31 PM in response to cybekal

Hi cybekal,

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "I can not find the Superdrive on my desktop".

Seems you can not use a hub with the superdrive. The Superdive must plug directly into the computer-port

_________________________________________________________________________________________

If you still need help:

Wondering whether your iMac model is compatible: How to: Identify your iMac model - Apple Support

and which Superdive you have : Seems the ZM/A version is no longer available (superseded)

and the LL/A version is the one that is currently available

Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

Says:

*The Apple USB SuperDrive is compatible with Mac models from 2008 and later that don't have a built-in optical drive. The compatible iMac versions listed are:

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2019)

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019–2020)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014–2015)

More info. / support / contact options etc., : iMac Support Website: iMac - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

I cannot find The Superdrive on desktop, using iMac OS Sonoma 14.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.