All voice memos have disappeared and there is no "deleted" folder?

All my voice memos were deleted from my iPhone, without permission, and with no way to recover.

1. No, there is no folder with "recently deleted"
  2. No, I don't want to reset from iTunes backup, because then I will lose other files.
  3. Why did this happen in the first place, and how can I get them back?

Poor form Apple!

I am hoping someone has a solution to this, and that I don't just get the auto-reply from Apple that they usually send. Especially as it seems to be a common problem.

Otherwise ... I guess we shouldn't EVER use this function? And now I am worried that all my Notes, Calendars, Files and everything else are also in danger of disappearing into the abyss...

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Brittlynn903 Said:

"How do I find deleted voice memos: How do I find deleted voice memos even after they’ve been deleted out of recently deleted"

-------

Troubleshooting Deleted Voice Memos:

A. Using "Recently Deleted":

The "Recently Deleted" folder is located at the bottom of the list of your Voice Memos. If it is not there, then it is not a feature of your iOS.

B. Restore your iPhone from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone prior to this occurrence? If so, restore your iPhone from one that has these memos (the most recent backup, ideally). If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always back up your device for recovery purposes. Important: Back up you iPhone prior to performing this restoration, should anything go wrong from here on out.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2023 8:53 PM in response to JulieWorsie

Brittlynn903 Said:

"How do I find deleted voice memos: How do I find deleted voice memos even after they’ve been deleted out of recently deleted"

-------

Troubleshooting Deleted Voice Memos:

A. Using "Recently Deleted":

The "Recently Deleted" folder is located at the bottom of the list of your Voice Memos. If it is not there, then it is not a feature of your iOS.

B. Restore your iPhone from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone prior to this occurrence? If so, restore your iPhone from one that has these memos (the most recent backup, ideally). If not, then take this as a learning experience, knowing to always back up your device for recovery purposes. Important: Back up you iPhone prior to performing this restoration, should anything go wrong from here on out.

Nov 2, 2023 4:50 AM in response to JulieWorsie

OMG, the same thing happened to me, I had so many important voice memos, can't believe this

First I updated iOS to v17, then all the voice memos on my Mac changed the titles of the files to the dates (because of the new encryption "feature" they enforced). But now, just recently I updated my Mac to MacOS Sonoma to see if I could get the titles names back on it, and after I open the Voice Memo app on my phone again, the app started downloading my Mac's voice memo files (the "dates"). I thought It was going to duplicate the same memos with the og title and with the date title (this is really poor programming), and then for no reason it stopped downloading them and deleted all of them on my both devices!!

EDIT: I'm calling Apple support. But I think the lesson is learned, NEVER trust Apple with delicate stuff, the environment is so closed that you have no control over the files, it isn't even easy to export all the audio files, you have to do it one by one, because they don't want you to leave the ecosystem! I will start using 3rd party apps from now on. I'm a musician and I had so much inestimable stuff.. I hate the people in charge of this app

All voice memos have disappeared and there is no "deleted" folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.