Bluetooth devices freeze/disconnect - Sonoma related.

Approximately once or twice per hour, my (non-Apple) bluetooth mouse freezes, and all my other bluetooth devices (Magic Keyboard, Magic Touchpad) - will no longer accept user input.

They re-connect after about 5 to 60 seconds (brief on screen pop-up indicates keyboard reconnection).

I'm pretty sure it's triggered by large amounts of mouse activity/input - on a non-Apple bluetooth mouse.

If I use the magic touchpad instead, I don't notice any freezes.

I've had this exact set-up (listed below) for 8 months prior to upgrading to Sonoma - and no issues - but was apparent immediately after updating to Sonoma, so I'm pretty confident it's Sonoma-related.

My guess is it's some kind of buffer overflow with mouse movement data points.

If I notice the freeze quickly, and stop moving the mouse, then it seems to unfreeze more quickly - again suggesting that a buffer clears.

MacBook Air M2

Magic Keyboard

Magic TouchPad

***ThinkPad Bluetooth Mouse***

External Dell U2515H Monitor (via CalDigit S3P)

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2023 11:41 AM

I'm on Sonoma 14.1.2 and the issue continues. This started *exactly* when I updated to Sonoma. Toggling bluetooth only temporarily gets it going again, it does not fix the problem. There are other threads mentioning the issue, it is a problem for many people and Apple should recognize this.

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 18, 2023 8:21 AM in response to MVegas21

Hi - and thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I've tried both of those steps - to no effect.

I've also tried deleting the ThinkPad bluetooth mouse, and adding it again.

I would stress:

1. I've had exactly the same set-up, in the same place for 8 months prior to updating to Sonoma - with no issues - and the issue appeared immediately after updating to Sonoma.
  2. The issue also affects the Magic Keyboard and Magic Touchpad - all of them lose their connection simultaneous - the only difference is that it appears to be the ThinkPad mouse that *triggers* the issue.

Oct 26, 2023 5:42 AM in response to dostr63

I am having the same issues. Apple Magic Keyboard & Magic Trackpad, Mac Air M2. Previous to Sonoma there were absolutely no issues with connectivity. With Sonoma, there is lag, disconnection and so much frustration. I have made no changes to the physical setup of where everything sits on my desk. Yesterday was the worst, lost both the keyboard and mouse, would not reconnect. Had to remove them, reconnect them, the whole thing. This is not the performance I expect and the ONLY change was the upgrade to Sonoma. Come on Apple, fix this.

Oct 18, 2023 7:28 AM in response to dostr63

Hi dostr63,

Resetting the Bluetooth Module may help correct the behavior you've noticed. This is done by turning the Bluetooth setting off then back on again on your Mac: Turn Bluetooth on or off on Mac

If the issue continues, try resetting the SMC. Here's how: Reset the SMC of your Mac

Make sure that your Mac is plugged into power, then take one of these actions. 
• Restart: Choose Apple menu  > Restart.
• Or shut down: Choose Apple menu  > Shut Down. Then press the power button on your Mac to turn it on again.

No other steps are necessary for Mac computers with Apple silicon.

Wireless interference can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices to disconnect or perform poorly, so if the behavior continues, review this article: Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

If you need more help, reach out to Apple Support directly so they can look into this with you further. They can be contacted here: Get Support or by calling the most applicable phone number from this list: Contact Apple for support and service.

Regards.

Oct 26, 2023 5:48 AM in response to PunkinKisses

Late last night I updated to Sonoma 14.1 - and so far today* - no issues.

(*but I'm not promising it's fixed - it may be just that I've apparently had a better morning!)

I think I'm seeing improved mouse responsiveness - but that may be wishful thinking.

(Note - when I upgraded to 14.1, the reboot asked for my Apple ID password, as well as my laptop password)

Bluetooth devices freeze/disconnect - Sonoma related.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.