Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro Bluetooth Cutting Out

I have both a Bluetooth audio device (ReSound Phone Clip+) and a Bluetooth Magic Mouse connected to my MacBook Pro running Big Sur macOS 11.6.1. Periodically I have this problem, which will then fix itself for a while before recurring a few days later. What happens is that the BlueTooth becomes unreliable so that BlueTooth audio cuts in and out and the mouse's movements become jumpy.

I've just performed a test and discovered that the cursor doesn't react to movements of the mouse at the same time that the audio cuts out. After a short gap (usually < 1 sec.) when the audio cuts back in, the mouse again works. This means that it's the computer's BlueTooth that's failing, not just a connection to one or other of the devices.

I've Reset the BlueTooth Module. Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Steve = : ^ )

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 3:17 PM

Though I don't have BT speakers, I've experienced the intermittent mouse behavior you describe a few times. My solution was to power off the magic mouse, wait a bit, then turn it back on. You might also consider charging it up completely to see if that changes the behavior.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 3:17 PM in response to Erroll

Though I don't have BT speakers, I've experienced the intermittent mouse behavior you describe a few times. My solution was to power off the magic mouse, wait a bit, then turn it back on. You might also consider charging it up completely to see if that changes the behavior.

Dec 21, 2021 1:11 PM in response to Erroll

Hello Erroll,

Thanks for that info and for choosing the Apple Support Communities. If we understand correctly, you are having Bluetooth issues with your Mac, as your Magic Mouse and Bluetooth audio device cut out at the same time unexpectedly. To help with this, check for sources of interference and depending on what year your Mac is from, run the built-in Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test to see if this will give more info about your situation:

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac

How to use Apple Diagnostics on your Mac

Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes

Cheers!

Dec 21, 2021 3:40 PM in response to terryb

Thanks for the reply, but the important thing to note is that the mouse and the audio fail at exactly the same time, so charging the mouse isn't going to fix the problem. I suggest that your problem, like mine is intermittent and just happens to fix itself while you're charging the mouse.

I now suspect that it's interference from some other wifi source.

Thanks again,

Steve = : ^ )

Dec 21, 2021 3:54 PM in response to Erroll

I don't disagree with your suspicion. My theory on device charge level is that a weaker BT signal could be more prone to interference and/or corruption. In my thinking, both devices failing at the same time doesn't preclude this. Please report back if you discover it to be another nearby BT or WiFi source.

MacBook Pro Bluetooth Cutting Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.