Is there any setting I can change on my iPad to prevent one tap from selecting an entire word?

After upgrading to iOS 17.0.3, tapping once in any kind of message (email, messages, this text box, etc.) now selects the entire word where you tapped. Previously, it would just drop the cursor at either the front or end of the word. It now takes me 3x longer to send any messages because I have to tap-and-hold to the appropriate spot anytime I want to edit or add something new, where before it was just tap and type. I send most emails and quick messages on my iPad because it has been easier than my laptop, but if it can’t be rectified, this will probably be my last iPad. Sounds like an insignificant change, I know, but it is absolutely killing my productivity. Please, does anyone know of any setting that can get this back to the way it was?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 5:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2024 8:13 PM

Thank god I’m not the only one.

THIS IS SOO IRRITATING !!

It’s not just Mail, it’s the whole text input. Even to write this comment. It happens ALL THE TIME !!!

People change phone for less than this.

Similar questions

37 replies

Nov 5, 2023 7:45 AM in response to njzeus

njzeus: This has been a major pain for me on my iphone .. the Mail app. Tapping on the screen will have the cursor select the a full word .. and then have it pop up very wrong and misspelled replacements.

After much toying around, I figured that if you turn off the “Slide To Type” option under General > Keyboards, it stops this very annoying behavior.

I’m surprised that the Apple rep could not reproduce this behavior. It’s been a major annoyance since the last iOS release.

Jan 9, 2024 8:02 PM in response to LoisClarges

Thanks for clarifying this. Seems that option is poorly named since it affects both cursor placement and deletion of the most recently swipe-to-typed word. I wish Apple would hold off on the next 10 gimmicks no one asked for or wants and instead improved on the last 50 poorly implemented features, and then moving forward they could measure twice and cut once maybe…

Feb 9, 2024 4:43 PM in response to ninjadude9

Unfortunately this fix doesn't seem to last. The issue will reappear even though the "Delete slide-to-type by word" toggle remains off. I found that cycling the toggle (on then off again) fixes the behavior for some amount of time before it returns. Just embarrassing having such terrible bugs in the "most advanced blah blah blah" operating system from a company of geniuses that seems to be only good at marketing... (The whole experience of being an Apple user is increasingly embarrassing on a daily basis.)

Apr 14, 2024 8:51 PM in response to yohaan16

Omgness it happens to me on my iPhone and I’ve been searching for any helpful information to resolve it. It seems like it occurred with one of the updates & it’s so annoying !

Anytime I touch anything in the text field , it wants to highlight it , change the spelling to an often misspelled word & if I don’t happen to catch it, I look like some idiot with typos .. its so frustrating!!!

It takes so long to get through the multiple words being affected and this occurs like if I wanna select any portion of a text to copy or to remove / change any portion and essentially , any time I touch the curser at any point in the text field , it’s going to select whichever word , try to change it / change it , I have to continually tap different places to move the curser away from whatever word it’s attempting to alter & sometimes it will finally actually just end up at a place where the curser shows before or after a word like it used to do , which I’ve not figured out what triggers that , but I think it only does it where there’s a space before a punctuation mark , rather than between any words like it has always done before this frustrating mess , if I’m making proper sense.

It was sort of hard to even type my question in google, not fully knowing the technical terminology I was trying to explain , so after a second attempt , I actually found someone’s post in the search results that led me here … ugh it’s so annoying! I hope someone is able to offer some solution. I get so sick of technology having so many issues , only to have support in various platforms / devices , etc. offer the most irrelevant info , like I generally deal with especially with my Fitbit lol. It’s always oh have you restarted ur device and made sure ur wearing it right ? When it’s clearly a software issue they’ve known about but only wanna throw up the most generic / irrelevant junk … sorry , I didn’t mean to project my Fitbit frustration in an Apple thread hahaha !! But I’m only complaining about that in relation to how it feels when we seek help and only get the same types of responses from most support teams haha , so hopefully Apple will resolve this and give us all some sort of solution and peace of mind!!

Mar 14, 2024 7:34 AM in response to SkribHD

SkribHD wrote:

Yes this is driving me crazy and so inefficient- takes 3 times as long to write a message, fix, correct, etc. It’s infuriating. Please correct this. We did not ask for this feature.

It's quite possible that lots of people did ask for such a feature. It can sometimes be difficult to remember that not everyone has the same needs or preferences.

Apple doesn't read here in this user-to-user forum for feedback or suggestions. You can, however, let them know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Happy Pi Day!

Oct 18, 2023 12:45 PM in response to njzeus

Hello njzeus,

We understand that you're having an issue when tapping on any kind of message on your iPad after updating the software.

We were able to test this on our end with more than one iPad and we were unable to reproduce what you're experiencing. We'd like to have you try some basics, to try to resolve this issue.

1. Close any apps open on the iPad.
  2. Restart the iPad.
  3. Test to see if the issue remains.

If the issue persists, take a look at the iPadOS 17 user guide page we have below that might help with resolving what you're experiencing, as some features may have changed.

Select, cut, copy, and paste text on iPad - Apple Support

If the issue remains, you may want to reach out to Apple Support to have this looked into further.

Take care.

Is there any setting I can change on my iPad to prevent one tap from selecting an entire word?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.