You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this Apple email legitimate?

Hello all,

I received an email from appleid@id.apple.com addressed to one of my daughters who used to have a phone on our plan but started her own plan several years ago. The reply email address is do_not_reply@apple.com. The message stated “You can now update the phone number for your Apple ID” with a link to apple.com/recover. When I click the link it appears to take me to a legitimate site. I copied the url and pasted it into my notes to see if it was spoofed but it appears legit. I have googled to see if the email address is real and have seen responses saying that it is and responses saying that it isn’t. Its just odd because my daughter got her own phone plan a long time ago, she’s 20 years old so would have her own email linked to her Apple ID. I did a search through my history for that email address and found an email sent to me back in 2015 addressed to her saying she added my email address “as a new rescue email address for your Apple ID.” So maybe it’s valid? I don’t remember this. I emailed it to reportphishing@apple.com to ask if it’s real but I’m not sure they respond. Can anyone here tell me if it seems legit?

Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 6:43 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 8:23 AM

The domains sound legit as does the history. However, in this setting where other end users can neither see nor touch your devices, it is impossible for us to do the best test. But you can.

Some scammers spoof email domains of reputable companies. Through coding they make a link to their "services" look like a real one. Example of a fake Apple ID text I received:

However, those addresses are "in the open." In email, they may be harder to find spot.

In most mail client apps (Apple Mail; MS Outlook; ThunderBird) you can hover the cursor over the address or right-click the address to see if it is a spoof. Here, an email alleging to be from my old ISP showed the real source address when I right-clicked on it:

My ISP's proper address never ended in ".mix." Also note the the message was sent as group message.

I did the same for an message this week that was a true email from Apple:

The displayed address and the "right-click" address match—verified in my mind.

Also see this: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Mama_of_Four

The domains sound legit as does the history. However, in this setting where other end users can neither see nor touch your devices, it is impossible for us to do the best test. But you can.

Some scammers spoof email domains of reputable companies. Through coding they make a link to their "services" look like a real one. Example of a fake Apple ID text I received:

However, those addresses are "in the open." In email, they may be harder to find spot.

In most mail client apps (Apple Mail; MS Outlook; ThunderBird) you can hover the cursor over the address or right-click the address to see if it is a spoof. Here, an email alleging to be from my old ISP showed the real source address when I right-clicked on it:

My ISP's proper address never ended in ".mix." Also note the the message was sent as group message.

I did the same for an message this week that was a true email from Apple:

The displayed address and the "right-click" address match—verified in my mind.

Also see this: Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Oct 18, 2023 8:44 AM in response to Mama_of_Four

Ask her which email addresses are added as additional contact for her Apple ID account. Those might be added at any point in the past. It is recommended to have at least one confirmed extra email address, in case recovery is needed.

On her iPhone (for her): Settings﹥[Her name/Apple ID]﹥Sign-In & Security﹥ᴇᴍᴀɪʟ & ᴘʜᴏɴᴇ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀs﹥

Or on the web (for her): Manage your Apple ID - Apple

If one of your email addresses is used there, then that could be the reason why you get that message.

Is this Apple email legitimate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.