Can purchased movies from iTunes be watched without Wifi?

With the increasing costs of streaming services, I'm trying to figure out a secondary way to have movies available without the clutter. If I were to purchase movies from iTunes on my Apple TV, can they be watched without Wifi? My secondary option is to buy physical DVDs, which I'm not against but have a small child in the home that could potentially scratch them.

(I'm looking for non-wifi options so that I can decrease the internet bill since it's already over $100 a month in my area)

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 1:28 AM

The Apple TV box doesn’t store movies on disk. It needs the network connection for input.

iTunes Store movies can be played offline only on the device on which they were downloaded (Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad). That wouldn’t help with the Apple TV box for fully offline. But you can stream locally (Home Sharing) with just a short online authorization check, e.g. if your bandwidth usage is metered.

My secondary option is to buy physical DVDs, which I'm not against but have a small child in the home that could potentially scratch them.

That’s why we have shelfs at 3'7" and higher to store physical media. 😉

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2023 1:28 AM in response to sweetascinnamon

The Apple TV box doesn’t store movies on disk. It needs the network connection for input.

iTunes Store movies can be played offline only on the device on which they were downloaded (Mac, PC, iPhone, iPad). That wouldn’t help with the Apple TV box for fully offline. But you can stream locally (Home Sharing) with just a short online authorization check, e.g. if your bandwidth usage is metered.

My secondary option is to buy physical DVDs, which I'm not against but have a small child in the home that could potentially scratch them.

That’s why we have shelfs at 3'7" and higher to store physical media. 😉

Can purchased movies from iTunes be watched without Wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.