Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

locked out of my account by hackers

I have an old itunes/apple account. To be honest I'd forgotten it was even active. I've not used it in 10 years.

Today I got some emails saying my security questions and password has been changed. I guess I had some old password which was leaked on the dark web associated with this account. Like I said, I've not used it in years.

Now I can reset the password as the account is still associated with my email. The hackers can't get that. But they know the security questions. They seem to have changed these to Chinese. Strange right?! Now whether they have just somehow changed these questions text to be Chinese or whether they have actually change the answers too I don't know. I don't know the answers to the questions even if I did set them up a while ago.

When I log into my account now it asks me to confirm with the security questions after putting in the new correct password. Obviously I don't know these questions because they were changed by the hackers. It appears they can reset the password using the security questions but I can't reset the security questions using the password. How mad is that?!

I spoke to support for 40 mins on the phone and they basically said there's nothing they can do. They can't reset the questions, they can't block or suspend the account. I can lock it by purposefully entering the wrong password 10 times but then they can just reopen it by filling in the security questions. It's madness how it's come to this.

Any advice? I'd be happy if the whole account was just deleted at this point to be fair. I don't want some Chinese hackers using my cloud account for god knows what.

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 10:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 9:42 PM

Hi mattfjohnson

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "locked out : old itunes/apple account : I can't reset the security questions using the password".

Apple Support have this (archived) article online that may or may not be helpful:

What to do: If you forgot the answers to your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support

Re: "locked out of my account by hackers"

See: What to do: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

and See who has access to your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Re: "the account is still associated with my email"

The Apple ID is generally the email address, (in some countries may be a phone number)

Thus, it would be necessary to know the Apple ID (email) in order to access the account.

(The password and security questions would not be enough)

________________________________________________________________________________________

Apple ID online Log-in  : https://appleid.apple.com.

How to sign in (to your Mac or device) with your Apple ID: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Seems security questions are seldom used any more.

Articles below have info on two-factor authentication which is the system mainly used now with Apple ID

If you wish, you may be able to make the change:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

How to: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "I'd be happy if the whole account was just deleted at this point to be fair".

You may want to look carefully through the article below so you understand what the effects would be:

Eg: you won’t be able to access any data, content, or services that were associated with your Apple ID.

How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

All the best :-)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2023 9:42 PM in response to mattfjohnson

Hi mattfjohnson

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community.

Re: "locked out : old itunes/apple account : I can't reset the security questions using the password".

Apple Support have this (archived) article online that may or may not be helpful:

What to do: If you forgot the answers to your Apple ID security questions - Apple Support

Re: "locked out of my account by hackers"

See: What to do: If you think your Apple ID has been compromised - Apple Support

and See who has access to your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Re: "the account is still associated with my email"

The Apple ID is generally the email address, (in some countries may be a phone number)

Thus, it would be necessary to know the Apple ID (email) in order to access the account.

(The password and security questions would not be enough)

________________________________________________________________________________________

Apple ID online Log-in  : https://appleid.apple.com.

How to sign in (to your Mac or device) with your Apple ID: Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Seems security questions are seldom used any more.

Articles below have info on two-factor authentication which is the system mainly used now with Apple ID

If you wish, you may be able to make the change:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

How to: Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "I'd be happy if the whole account was just deleted at this point to be fair".

You may want to look carefully through the article below so you understand what the effects would be:

Eg: you won’t be able to access any data, content, or services that were associated with your Apple ID.

How to delete your Apple ID account - Apple Support

All the best :-)

Apr 14, 2024 8:34 AM in response to cruurakarc233

cruurakarc233 wrote:

I see. I think Apple have access to the login details of all the Apple IDs in the world. But I am not sure.

If you lose complete control of your Apple ID account (as happened months back in the reply thread above), then the Apple ID becomes Not Your Apple ID account as far as anybody outside can tell.

You become indistinguishable from a miscreant trying to gain access to an Apple ID account that is Not Yours.

There is no good fix for this, particularly for cases where an Apple ID seemingly with a re-used password (bad) and seemingly with no two-factor authentication (bad) was left fallow (bad).

These oldest and unfortunately least secure logins—across all password-protected services—have unfortunately been getting lost or wrested away for many years. These login losses are why password generators, password managers, hardware security keys, and multi-factor authentication all exist. But not everybody has migrated.

locked out of my account by hackers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.